Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare hard top...? HMM Ideas on What to do w/It?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, May 31, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I've got an extra hardtop. and was thinking of maybe taking the glass out and that way I could have a little more coverage from the elements yet keep the whole topless feeling and have something unique...Since my soft top sucks ass... Also, maybe even making a sort of sunroof in the back? Anybody thats done this have any pictures or ideas or comments??
    Anything I may need to make it more ridged without the glass?? Thanks folks!!!
    Jordan

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a cool idea. I think the only time you MIGHT need reinforcement would be taking it off and putting it on. I suppose you could run 2x4s or 2x6s under it width wise and hoist using the wood. That would keep it nice and straight.
    I'd probably just make the windows bigger- no sunroof. Unless you cut a chunk out of the top and hinged it so you could open and close it. Like the old van windows.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud

3. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking of just two big ass windows!....Wondering about a plexi glass sunroof with a hinge or something similar?
    Jordan

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

what im gonna do w/ this hard top ive found is hack off the sides etc.. bolt on some wood to make a slanted top, like my soft top, but a hard top. its jsut for fun, nothin seriious, its an xtra top anyways. and its cracked, but ill be cutting out whats cracked.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have a hard top with no windows. I'm probly going to throw it on later in the summer. Its just too hot not to have a/c full blast right now. Chevyfumes threw out the idea to make the window holes bigger.......... can I borrow a sawzall? I'm not allowed to have one of those!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've got a hard top too now that i'm cutting the half cab off. This thing wont work for the blazer. How bout a sled for the winter. supersized, you could pull it with the blazer! Or maybe seal up both ends and have a redneck outdoor bathtub. Not too sure the new wife would like that. Maybe if I put hot tub jets in it too. LOL..

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Seal up the ends, turn it upside down and fill it with dirt, and make a planter out of it!

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Seal up the ends, turn it upside down, fill it with ICE, then fill it with BEER, then have a BBQ!!!!

9. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

90blzr, I like your idea best....lol....I saw a guy once make a sort of Racerback thing out of one once, looked pretty cool on his blazer, he did a nice job on it....also saw a guy who cut it off until approx 8 inches on top, maybe 16 on the bottom, and mounted his beacons (rotating lights) on it for when he had his snowplow on his pickup (not on a blazer, but still a good application) this way he didn't have to buy a bracket for the roof or punch holes in his roof....mind you I think the truck was full of rust holes anyway....just my 2 cents...ED

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Seal up one end and you have one hell of a nice dog house for your pet.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LMAO...yall are killin me....

Beer cooler!! PARTY!!!

Man i'd do that doghouse thing in an instant if I hadn't built the doghouse from hell in my materials/processes class last year. It's fully insulated, framed out, and 15 sq ft. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Cut out the sides and top like a long "U" shape, leaving just a hoop that mates to the cab and a hoop that surrounds the back window. Leave enough fiberglass that it's not just going to fall apart. Then run steel poles or brackets front to back at the top of it and steel reinforcement along what's left of it. Then you find an old messed up soft top and modify it so that it fits on this new frame. You could even extend the fabric so that it pretty much covers all of the fiberglass part. Then you can have roll-up soft sides, but still be able to roll up the factory rear glass. Plus, whenever you wanted to, you could take it off and exchange it for your regular hardtop since they bolt mount the same. Plus, it would be a lot lighter.

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ah! a poor mans can back, thats cool since only the wealthy can afford the real deal... I think thats where our bandwidth went... J/K Steve[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

SAVE IT for winter! they make one KICK-@SS sled! 5-10 people tobogan! OOOOH YEAAAA! ;)

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm with Steve, these things make great dog houses. Thats what mine was last summer.</font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

16. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

im stickin w/ my idea of a converted hard top. not because it would bew a poor mans canback, but just because it gives me something to do, and would be fun.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

17. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My extra top is currently my lawnmower/gas can shed...i think i am going to cut it off right at the start of the glass and graft on a sliding rear window and chunk of cab out of a GM PU.....poor mans halfcab

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Put it in the paper and sell it so you can buy your next new whatever you need for your truck.

or cut the top out an replace it with plexiglass. OR cut the top out, reinforce the hole and make it like a rag top VW bug....
    that would be awsome...

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This was on a 74. I have forgoten his nick but he didn't want to drill the windsheild header for his soft top. He took a old top and cut off the windsheild header and the section that went around the side windows. He made a couple cuts and added a couple latches that mounted off the factory threaded areas. Worked sweet! No holes and sealed up great. Was very nice job.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

20. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I'm liking the cut out windows idea...just trying to figure out how to do it without destroying the seals and all...hmmmm...this is going to be cool!!! :)