Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare Parts to Carry

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ricka, Nov 30, 2001.

1. ricka

ricka Registered Member

When wheelin', it is often useful to carry certain spare parts.
    Some spare parts are more important than others. For example,
    while a spare tire is important, I wouldn't call it high priority, as
    you can often reseat a bead, plug a hole or maybe borrow a tire
    from a friend. Ditto for a driveline, as you can usually get out on
    the just the front or rear. I'd put these into a lower priority category.
    One the other hand, if your HEI ignition module goes south, your rig
    won't start and you are stuck. In some cases, there are
    required tools that might get you back home instead of a
    replacement part.

So help me create this high priority spare parts list we should
    all be carrying. Here is a start. Let me know if you disagree
    with any of my items or have more to add.

Highest priority:
    HEI ignition module (if this dies, you are stuck)
    HEI coil (if this dies, you are stuck)
    Fuel pump (if no gas, you don't go)
    Oil pump (no oil means dead engine)
    Belt for water pump (don't want to overheat; could drive a mile
    and let it cool I guess, but since this is so small and cheap...)
    Duct tape (to repair hose leak and fix many other things :-)
    JB Weld (miscellaneous repairs)
    Vice grips (to clip torn brake line)
    Spindle (got stuck once when my hub torched my spindle, but
    this is probably a low occurence item)
    Fluids (oil, brake, tranny if AT, gear oil)

Lower Priority:
    Starter (if automatic; can't push start easily; should this be high priority?)
    Cap and rotor (anyone cracked a cap while wheeling?)
    U-joints for front axle and driveline (can usually remove axle/DL and get home)
    Spare axles (can usually remove broke one and get home)
    Spare hub
    Belt for power steering and alternator
    Fluids (PS, water)

I'm assuming everyone carries:
    Standard tools
    Hi-lift jack
    Lug wrench
    Snatch strap
    And they wheel with others, so I'd didn't include things
    like winches on the list.

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A spare tire and a strap should be the first two things you pack. Tires are not always an easy fix, and unless you are runing with only people with your bolt pattern/tire size it could get intresting - say you borrow a tire then the guy you borrowed it from gets a flat. The HEI module is a great idea, in fact I keep one in the glove box all the time, not just when wheeling. I've brought this one up every time someone does one of these "what to pack" posts. HEI coil is more likely to degrade than die so I don't pack that. A fuel pump isn't a bad idea because they do go bad and are easy to pack, but you can gravity feed a carb if need be, this might be more important for the FI guys though. Just remember that it is in the tank and unless you have cut an access hole in the bed you have to drop the tank to change it. An oil pump shouldn't go bad overnight. Belts are good, I pack the ones I take off when I change them. Duct tape is a must, but for hoses self vulcanizing rubbe tape is better. JB Weld is another must & Super Glue, too. Vice Grips, never hit the trail w/o them. A spindle is not a bad idea but I would bring a balljoint before that - they can get destroied when a steering u-joint lets go. Fluids-always bring all of them! A starter usually gives you some warning its going out. The JB is for fixing things like the cap or rotor, but a plug wire isn't a bad idea. Think of u-joints like a fuse and bring at least one to fit every spot on the truck-don't forget something to change them with. Speaking of fuses don't foret them either. If you are running a c-clip axle this should be high on the list- even if just to be Murphy proof. Front axle is a good idea, too. A spare hub isn't a bad idea. Last a good set of tools, not a full roll away just the basics. 1/2" drive socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers, a hub socket, alen wrenches, pry bar, hammer, wire and wire cutters, safty wire, zip ties, nuts & bolts, and some flat steel w/ a hole in each end. Last here are a few other thing I would recomend: jumper cables, fire extingusher, chain, a High-Lift, a bottle jack, full size shovel, ax/saw, a CB, TP in a plastic bag, socks in plastic bag, dry/canned food or MREs, and if you have a winch don't forget the controler, gloves, clevis, snach block, and tree saver.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigjbear on 12/01/01 08:16 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey you guys forgot the two most important items. Matches and Beer. If you dont have room for the beer just throw out some of those spare parts.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good list already...........maybe a couple of spare ignition wires and/or a coil wire.

Oh, and bring other Bushhackers with BLAZERS like me, Shannon, Rob, Aaron, etc. and spread the load amongst all of us!

Glad to see you on the list Rick !!!

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never 'wheel far enough from home to carry spare parts. If someone breaks, you just go to the parts store or home and get the part and fix it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. ricka

ricka Registered Member

The spare tire and strap really should be on everyone's list. These are common
    failures and as such, should be on the list. I was just trying to point out maybe
    things that weren't as obvious, like the HEI module.

Regarding the oil pump, I did have one fail all at once. Started it up one morn
    in my driveway and noticed zero pressure. Shut it down immediately and had
    an easy repair. But I know carry a spare just in case. They are small and
    cheap, so it's recommended.

Not sure I would put spare plug wires on the list of important things. You
    can run on 5 or 7 cylinders if necessary. Also, some of us have fuel pumps
    mounted on the engine (not in the tank). In these cases, a fuel pump is
    one of those "must carry" things in my opinion.

I should of added fuses to my list. Good catch.

Have you ever lost a steering u-joint while wheeling? I was under
    the impression these were pretty stout.

Thanks for the reply. Good stuff to supplement my original list.

-------

7. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Yeah, it can never hurt to wheel with other K5 owners! Bound to be
    a full parts store between 3-4 rigs! :-)

One one trail near Yamhill, Oregon, I lost two beads in the span of
    5 seconds. Of course I had one spare, but didn't have two. Didn't
    have any other Blazer owners around, but did have a BushHacker
    who had a 33" Isuzu spare that fits just fine and got me home.

-------

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

wow. changing an oil pump on the trail, now thats hardcore. I think if it got to that point Id be dialing triple-A to send a towtruck.

mike

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

How bout a contract with a heavy lift heliocopter company? Don't forget some beer and a good tow/pull strap.

10. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

in my opinion if you've got a good group (4-6) at least on a long run.. a small portable torch might come in handy if the run is rough... never know when a wield or such might break..

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a drag link for those of use not running x-over steering is small and hard to get home without,also circuit city sells a converter that can be plugged into a cigeratte lighter and run tools like a drill or grinder. i found this is also great for road trips with the kids (tv/vcr)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Rick when I said you didn't need a fuel pump I was talking about the mech ones. You can gravity feed a carb with a gas can. Although having a spare pump is a much better solution.
    The steering u-joints commonly break in the 1/2 &amp; 3/4 ton axles. I have not broken one but have seen enough let go that I take spares and a small press to swap them out with.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think spare tire is #1 So far that has been the only thing I tore up enough that I REQUIRED it to be addressed before I could get out. Next thing on the list is the tools to change it including HiLift and Chain...yes chain. My truck flexes out more than my 48 inch lift can raise it. I chain my axle to the frame so that I don't have to lift it much to get the tire off. Lug wrench. I have 2 times had to lend my 4 way to people that got custom wheels with to much dish for their stock wrench to work on.
    Ball joints and axle shafts are also high on my list as well as the materials to handle their change.
    I don't feel a starter is priority for a few reasons. 1 they usualy give warning long before they get beyond a quick smack with a rock or a hammer to get them to work. If they go completly it is usualy due to being full of mud. You can clean mud out and get them to work. You can also play a dirty trick and by pass the electrics, Pull a starter off another truck and use jumper cables to jump it off. Remove it and put it back on the other truck and leave it running.
    I happen to carry a spare alternator because A I have a spare and B the alternator on the truck makes noise that sounds like the bearings are going. However on a Non FI truck if you unplug the brake light switch and run nothing but the engine the engine can run for hours on the battery. You can also take breaks and use jumper cables off another vehicle to recharge.
    Fluids and sealents. you can fix a punched Diff cover with JB weld but you got to have it, RTV and gear oil to finish the job. I carry enough fluids to replenish anything on the truck. That includes a FULL oil change. You swamp a motor and get water in the oil you got to have enough oil and a filter to fix the problem or by by motor.
    Also a decent size 50 cal amo can to catch fluid you have to drain. It's sealable. If I ever saw somebody drain fluids onto the ground when they could catch it they would be leaving with my steel toed boot stuck somewhere. There is no excuse for that
    U-Joints to. Many times you can hammer a drive shaft back into something close to straight to get you out but if you blow a joint is has to be replaced.
    Duct tape. You can hold body pannels on with it. takes minimal space but ohh so handy, Did you know if you punched a hole in a oil pan that with a strip of the good real aluminum foil duct tape you chould seal it? Needs to be done from the inside iff possible. Need to carry some brake cleaner to get it absolutly oil free where it needs to be adheared. While I don't carry a full roll I carry a few strips of that stuff with me.
    You know I have a spare HEI coil. I do like the idea of a spare modual. I think I'll pick one up. I also carry spare plugs. the old set from the last change if they are usuable. Yeah you can clean them but I have more than once broken plugs when I removed them so good to have a spare set.
    WD40 is high on the list. WD 40 will dry out a distributor cap and ignition better than anything else.
    Water pump rarely lock without warning. They may start leaking but if you got fluid you can usualy make it out with a few top offs. I don't carry one for that reason. Never seen one fail to the point of no function on the trail. I do carry belts.
    Do carry a ton of recovery equipment. I have used every bit of it multiple times recovering vehicles.
    I carry 2 straps, a Cheap tow strap, 20ft of 3/8s chain, about10ft of 5/16, I have several hooks including a garge ones to go to tow hooks and the style that will lock to the links. Only takes a minute to swap. Come-a-long. I have pulled trucks back onto their wheels with a come-a-long. Yeah it will wear you out but a lot faster to rig than a Hi Lift and you can make 4 times the pull without a rerig.
    Did you know it is LAW that in a national forest your supose to have both a shovel and a axe...yep look it up.
    Spindle is a little excessive but if I had a spare I'm sure it would be in my truck. I would probably get a whole assembly and mount it on my spare tire rack for the spare to bolt too. Unless you just manage to snap one (very rare) a failure that would not be prevetable with normal maintance including replacement of any questionable seals.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper