Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare storage in a pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have any clever solutions for the storage of a spare? I'm thinking about it for my '86 CUCV (K30 pickup). In my ideal world, I could put a 33" spare someplace and still put a stack of 4x8 sheets of something in the box. Right now I only have the stock spare, which is 31"x12" or so, and it looks like maybe I could stand it on end behind the cab and still fit 4x8's in the box - just barely.

I really don't like storing it under the bed since it seems like a super pain to get down when you need it. Plus, a bigger tire probably wouldn't fit. I can't think of anything else though. Front bumper looks goofy. A full rack above the bed would work, but is kind of extreme, and plus I couldn't park in the garage anymore if the tire was on top.

Lookin' for ideas.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Build a mount to put it on the outside of the bed..... just a thought???

or possibly just find a way to put it on the roof of the cab

run tubes..... they fit behind the seat :haha:

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

some trucks have them bolted to the side of bed ''inside that is''so its siting on one of the sides/-\O of the wheel tub.

4. neubanksc5

neubanksc5 1/2 ton status

5. Mastiff

Yeah, that's what I was thinking for now. It looks like I can barely fit 4x8 stuff with it that way. I won't know for sure til I try. With a bigger tire, I may be out of luck though - unless I deflate it a little and keep compressed air on-board... :thinking:

6. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

use a 33x9.50 on a 7''wide wheel that sould fit

7. Mastiff

Whoa! That's a clever idea. I'll have to copy that... good welding project too. :wink1:

8. Mastiff

Hmm. I wouldn't want them all that narrow, but I suppose I could have a mismatched spare, as long as the diameter is right. :thinking:

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

If you're not looking to lose any cargo space, make yourself some sorta swing-away spare tire mount like you see on S-10 Blazers and Bronco II's.... $.02

LOL!!!! :haha: Or mount it on the hood 'safari style'!! ;)

10. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

god could you imagine a 35x13 inch tire right in the middle of your view! :haha:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My heap had...

I had a "headache rack" and back window protector made from rectangular tubing and expanded metal mesh on my 74 K20,it was ruggedly built,and was anchored by heavy angle iron to the flatbed..--I welded 2 steel plates 3/16" thick to one side of it,drilled 2 holes to match the bolt pattern on the rim,and "hung" my spare on it,on the drivers side,so I'd have the entire bed free for other stuff.

It only stuck up a few inches higher than the cab,,and out the side about 4"--no wider than my mirrors--but I had a 245/75/16 tire on a stock rim..might not be the hot setup for a tire as big as yours is though..I got a severe backache putting the spare up there--even stock tire and rim wieghs over 100 lbs!.. :eek1:

I think the rear mount swing away type tire carrier similar to the ones on vans and K'5s and Broncos would be a better idea,and you could buy one cheap at a junkyard--wouldn't take much modifying to make one work.. :thinking: :crazy:

12. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I can think of all kinds of good ideas.

What about the old fashioned "tire in front of the grill"?

Or take tube and make a mount that goes across the front two stake pockets of the bed, and then back one pocket on one side. You could then mount the tire above the bed (although it would partially block the rear view). Or you could have another piece that drops down over the side of the bed from there and hangs it off the side.

You could try to mount it under the bed if you have side tanks.

You could modify one of the original in-bed/standing-up mounts, but make a little shelf on the bottom of it maybe 6-8" off the bed floor, then raise the rest of the mount the same 6-8". That would give you that 6-8" space under the tire where you could still slide plywood.

You could make a mount on the outside of the tailgate.

You could get a swing out bumper carrier.

If you need any explanations about what I'm talking about, just ask.

13. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

That is the easiest way to go.. I have a truck that the tire is mounted like that.. If I want to put plywood or something of that size I just take the tire out while I load the stuff and then set the tire on top of it until I get to where I'm going.. Then just put it back where it was..

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what I use. It sits in the bed parallel to the bedside behind the rear fender liner. I call it the "Pro Farm" look. :D

Saw the "tiregate" at the Off Road Expo. Interesting idea.

15. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I stole the spare tire holder off the back of a Blazer at the junkyard, but run the tire in the bed so it doesn't stick above the tailgate or stick out. When I want to carry large items, BAM, just mount the tire on the rack. Plus, I keep it closed with a lock on it so nobody can get my tailgate down (I have a tonneau), good if you carry motorcycles or $$$ heavy equipment like welders or compressors. Cost me about $10 including the mounting bolts