Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare Tire carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustyMule, Apr 6, 2005.

1. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

Anybody know where to get a good spare carrier? Bumper...hitch mount ... anything. What would y'all recommend to hold up a 35 incher on a Blazer (on the outside)? That beast takes up all my cargo room so I'm lookin for alternatives.
    Thanks

2. cycologic

cycologic Registered Member

Have you tried 4x4Iron.com? They made a nice swing-away tire carrier bumper for me about a year ago. I've run 35's, 38' and 39.5's on it. I have only had problems with it running the 39.5's

3. RustyMule

I thought I heard that 4x4 iron is closing down? I'll check

4. cycologic

cycologic Registered Member

I've been trying to reach them the past two days, but the phone number is out. I emailed him this morning, so I'll see if he replies. I hope Tim isn't going out, I need some stuff. Thanks for the heads-up on that though.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

6. RustyMule

To anybody who DOESN'T have a 4x4iron bumper, what are you using and how do you like it? Most of the searches i've done come back to them, and that doesn't do much good now. Does anybody make a simple reciever mount carrier?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

doesnt rockstomper.com sell a tire-carrier hinge thingy? Don't think it would be to hard to add to most any aftermarket bumper... if ya can't weld, have a friend or a local shop attach it for ya.

j

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You could try Kennesaw Mtn.. They gave me a quote, so they must be in business.

4WDmetalworks also makes them. They are premium, and with a premium price tag. Website is www.4wdmetalworks.com, but I don't think it works. CK5 member Steve Kibbe is associated with them and can put you in contact.

Another idea that I almost went with is a tire carrier that mounts in the receiver hitch.

9. RustyMule

About the hitch thing....did you SEE one that was like that, or were you going to MAKE your own? I don't have a metal shop or a welder so I was kinda lookin for a premade one.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You can get spare carriers that are receiver mount premade. There's an outfit sells them on Ebay, or Hidden Hitch and some of the tow hitch places sell them.

Now, a 35" on that would scare me ... and my 33" tore the &^T#*@# out of my sheetmetal, so the ones that mount to the body would NOT do well ... a bumper-mount is, IMHO, the way to go (or mount it inside ... I seem to have given up my back seat for this privilege :) )

-- A

11. RustyMule

I guess I'll be shellin' out the money for a bumper with a carrier. Seems that there isn't much else that will hold that much beef. Thanks for all the help, but if anybody else has any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
    Thanks

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member