Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spare tire carriers on k5s...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Aug 27, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why do they always hinge on the pass side and the tire is generally on the pass side of bumper too. Is there some unknown reason I am missing for that? I was thinking why not put on drivers side since it would be directly behind driver you wouldn't loose as much rear visibility. Basically you would have to be looking completely turned around to have it obstuct view whereas on the pass side you can look over your shoulder and obstuct view. Does that make snese to anyone?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Makes perfect sense. Make it and send me a blue print. :D

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a bed mounted tire carrier off a friend for $20, I'm just gonna mount it on the trailer so it'll clear the jack handle on the trailer and the front axle of the truck.

I do see your point though. Driver's side would be better for visibility and convenience but nobody seems to do it that way.

4. MNorby

once I get the shakle flip and axles under the 71 I will start building one and take pics for ya'll. Prob use a light trailer spindle/ bearings/ hub for a hinge and some rec tube tapering up on the ends. just trying to find if there is any reason not to.

5. MNorby

I think cause the factory ones are always on the pass side and its just a matter of thinking-outside-the-box issue

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Heres mine it's only mounts the the bumper and not to the body...[​IMG]

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Understandable. Eh well, mine will be fastened to the trailer. If it can't be fixed with tire plugs I was doing something REALLY stupid.

8. MNorby

CMOE, thats what I'm talkin about!

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Tire carriers are on the right hand side I believe because we drive on right hand side of road and if you got a flat you would not be standing
    in the road taking a tire off and get hit by the jack butt on his cell phone.

I never paid any attention to British rigs (lorries) and where they are. I put mine in the middle so if I get hit it buys me a little crumple zone.
    This was before I put it on truck, but you get picture.
    [​IMG]

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Oh yea hey Cmoe WHAT the heck do you have a radar unit on your dash for?? Well, It looks like the radar units we had in the Twp cars.
    This is in a M1009 MP unit. Look at the dash on his then look at this.
    [​IMG]

11. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My best guess as to why the spare is on the passenger is weight distribution. Most of the time you're driving without a passenger and I'd be willing to bet the designers were thinking stability.

I do know that when I was Solo IIing better times were had when a passenger was on board.

Anyways.......

12. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

i think it has to do with swinging away from traffic when parked instead of into traffic but i am building mine on the driverside because of visibility reasons as well.

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

On mid dash is my tach & my privacy phone for my hands free set... I'll tell ya the truth I have 33's on my white k-5 w/ the factory spare tire carrier and I can see about the same out of the two... the black one has 35's though.... If you want to look at my web pages on my trucks and trailer you can find them at http://www.geocities.com/moe_craig63/index.html... I need to take a few more pic's of my trailer with the spare on it...

14. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i was going to mount me spare mount to the left side of mine for better visibility until i realized that it doesn't matter what side a 42" is on, you won't be able to see around it.