Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare tire height? Will this be ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I have 37" tires and I am planning on using a 35" tire as a spare to take the stress of my spare tire carrier. will this 2" diff. be ok? or will it cause problems or even damage the drivetrain when used? and if so Will it be worse when installed an a 14 bolt FF with a detroit or on a front open 10 bolt. Im thinking that it would be no problem on a open diff because one axle would just rotate faster then the other but on a locked diff im not sure.

Anybody know?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 40" tires and a 38" spare the spare is used in emergancys only and the 40 will be aired down to match the heigth of the fully inflated 38 also if you have to drive a long distance with a only one locker you can swap tires front to rear to get them to match and then run the 35 up front with no locker. I think you will be fine

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

My only concern about airing down is that I have 16.5 rims and im afraid the tires will pop off. I didn't find out about the problem with 16.5"rims untill right after i bought them.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are concerned about weight you may find that a 35 and a 37 are within a couple of pounds of each other it may not make much of a difference on your spare tire carrier

5. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking that however Im running 38/15.5 TSL'S 10 ply radials (37" exact) and i was considering to use a BFG mud train or something like that as spare, which I think would be alot lighter then the TSL.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Under no circumstances should you ever run different size tires on the same axle if you have a locker, this will ruin a locker in a heartbeat.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As mentioned, you can run with a smaller sized spare, just don't use it on the rear axle, i did this for quite awhile, and did have a flat on the rear one day,,it's alittle more work with removing the front and swapping it to rear, but it's better than ruining a locker or L.S. rear diff.