Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare tire ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hammermachine, Sep 18, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any ideas on how to carry two 35's spares? They are huge and take up the entire truck bed.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I carry mine on the roof (suburban) but I am fabbing a rear tire carrier for one.

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what i have done was just lean it up against the back seat but my girlfreind complained about the tire smell inside the truck. so now i just dont have one

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I keep my 37 behind the rear seat in my K5 I could fit 2 if I lean one against each fender well.

I need to fab up a bumper mount tire carrier though like Dontoe has.

Ira

5. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I've got a shortbox and a 38". I lean it on the tailgate and use tie downs through the lug holes, run the tie down over the tire and tailgate and strap it to the rear frame cross member member. I figure you could strap a second spare on top of this one. This leaves room under the tire for a jack all and gas can which I also strap to the wheel. It's very secure and leaves room for my dog and a truck box in the back and no chance of the dog being hit by the wheel. I do this only for wheeling or driving back roads. Daily driving I don't bring a spare.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A good dog is hard to find . If I had a pickup I'd put my wife in the back and the dog in the cab :wink1: I HATE seeing dogs in beds .

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What vehicle are we talking about? if it's the k5 I would get a bumper with dual swing out tire mounts..... or mount one inside and one out side...

8. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I don't see a problem with a dog in the bed of a truck. Where I live the law is they have to be secured (tied) and that's what I do. The dog loves it back there and jumps in himself. Funny how things and attitudes change. I'm 32 and when I was a kid no one had a problem with us in the back of pickups.

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ive got 2 32s. The problem with anything bigger than 32 is the tailgate wont close unless you either air the one down or move the whole spare carrier in a lil further. Plus ive got a rear tire carrier.

If you have roof rack, put one up there. Even on a truck cab, you could fab up a small carrier. Also there are grill mount carriers. Or ya could go Aussie style and mount one on the hood, but that may make visability limited. lol