Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spare tire mount ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Oct 17, 2004.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i know alot of you guys-girls have k5's and can do a rear mount spare tire. i have a longbed truck. i am looking for ideas to do a in bed spare tire mount. i want to be able to use the bed to haul stuff if i need to. tire size would be 35"to39" i have 35's now but am looking to go bigger. mounts that could bolt in and be removed are ok! anyone have any pics or ideas that they have seen or tried thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

on my dads wood truck (now mine) we bolted the tire to the wood rack on the left side, behind the wheelwell. But that was will a ___ size tire, so I dont kow if it would work for you.

3. rubbinz raczn

not enough room for a big tire! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how about in front of the wheelwell, against the bedside? Or maybe... I dont know /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. rubbinz raczn

gonna throw one in and check now! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im watching this post intently, I thought about a bed mount, like the one they used on the bronco on trucks, but I would have to find another way to mount it for theft reasons. Also, if you go somewhere and need to haul something unexpectedly, where do you put the thing. Thing a swing out tire carrier (bumper type mount) would be g@y on a truck?

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not unless the spare tire has a cover with a picture of Micheal Jackson on it!.--They look OK on a K5,so why not a pickup??.The spare on my 74 K20 is on the"headache"rack right behind the driver(to avoid blocking your veiw too much),but its a ballbuster lifting a 10 ply 16 inch tire up there,nevermind a big swamper or something.
    I have seem lots of trucks around here with tires mounted up front,either on the bumper or in a receiver style front "basket" carrier than can haul a big chest--I dont care for that design,that blocks a lot of air to the radiator,and looks like its clumsy to drive with that thing hanging off the front--other trucks have a spare in the rear trailer hitch receiver,but what happens when its time to tow your trailer??.There really isnt many places to hide a spare,especially a big one.I do know the under the truck factory spare tire carrier sucks--usually rusted to death,your rim rots away under there,and you have to lie in a puddle if its raining to get it out--only to find its flat! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--I usually just leave the spare in the bed now(chained to prevent it from rolling away like it did once,and hit another car! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and to prevent theft.

8. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I like front bumper mount, looks bad Azz.

I guess it's up to how healthy your rig is if you can put it there.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

How about bridging hoops over the bed from one side to the other. This way most cargo would fit under neath. You could even make it clamp on so it could be positioned anywhere allowing you to load a fridge or something like that and use the tire mount to press it up to the cab. Basically hoops like people are building in their cages for seat mounts. Check that, tire in the middle or side andc a cooler mount next to that.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, after all we're just a bunch of sister screwing, tobacco spittin, trailer trash posers. who needs approach or departure angle anyways? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

we are dealing with a longbed truck here, there's 8 feet of friggin cargo space, why the hell would you want it hanging out beyond the tailgate or in front of the bumper? try a prerunner type carrier.

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I like Cyberfire's idea. Almost a shortened set of ladder racks. Maybe put an angle to the supports and make it look straight out of a Lund catalog.

It could also have a couple of lights mounted on it to make it look like it belongs there.

-Chris

12. rubbinz raczn

thought about the front mount. it is goin on a 1967 gmc so old school would be cool! i tried tire in front of the wheelwell but that looks gay! i prefer the tire to sit flat and not show above top of bed under bed is out cause i have a 30 gallon tank in rear /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. rubbinz raczn

pics? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I layed a 33" in the bed held down with a threaded rod for years and that worked well.Used a large wing nut.

15. rubbinz raczn

how did you retain the bolt to bed floor? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, after all we're just a bunch of sister screwing, tobacco spittin, trailer trash posers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cawlin me a poser? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    who needs approach or departure angle anyways? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

we are dealing with a longbed truck here, there's 8 feet of friggin cargo space, why the hell would you want it hanging out beyond the tailgate or in front of the bumper? try a prerunner type carrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounded to me like it was going to be more of a street vehicle than anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Just my 2c. I decided not to mention that I think mounting it on the hood look even more bad ass... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[quoteI decided not to mention that I think mounting it on the hood look even more bad ass... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The old Series Land Rovers are cool for that -- spare tyre on the bonnet, LOL.

However, the visibility over the hood of a Blazer is bad enough as it is, without adding a freakin' tire to the mix...

-- A

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lol a 44x19.5 bogger on the hood lol, try to see over that. Cant add no oil either, cant lift the hood, you think the hood would crease if you did that?

anywho, so yall dont think it would look stupid w/ a swing away tire on a pickup? I like the 4x4iron hybrid front bumper, but coulnt find a rear i liked, atleast, that wasnt a tire carrier. Anyone have a pic of a pickup w/ a swing away?

19. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    how did you retain the bolt to bed floor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the bed nearer the rear. Nylock nut on the bottom with a fender washer and a S.S. fender washer under the wing nut. I thought it looked kewl and anytime I needed to use the whole bed it removed easily.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I've been thinking about a swing out style carrier on mine. I have seen some I like it on and others that I dont. It would be one of those things you build and then if you dont like it, sell it or scrap it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like the look though.