Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spare tire mount suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Nov 28, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

hey all, im looking at getting a spare 33in tire for my CUCV, and maybe at some point putting 35's all around at some point. Im going to be installing the military "in bed" spare tire mount, but i normally haul quite a bit of stuff and would hate to loose the room inside.

My brothers bronco has a swing away spare tire mount outside the tailgate that im quite fond of, does anyone know if there is a somewhat easy to install swing away tire mount for a 1986 CUCV that wont hack up the truck?

2. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

3. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

thanks man, thats exactly what i was lookin for...... 500 bucks is a bit of a kick in the crotch though, guess its time to start saving pennies......

4. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

well thats definitly the way to go. but I just got a spare tire carrier of a ford bronco for free. probably by the end of next week it will be on my 1990 K5. I'll throw some pics up if all goes good, incase you want to do it on the cheap.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

There were aftermarket swing-away carriers for the K5's (which also fit the pickups ... you didn't say what kind of CUCV you have, '09 or '08/etc).

However, they are marginal for 31" tires, and for 33"+, *will* tear your sheetmetal up, especially on the tailgate. They also require lots of drilling which I think constitutes "hacking."

Mounting the carrier to a bumper, roll cage, or receiver hitch is your best bet.

-- A

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    See this one here
    I would recommend a fold down type if you ever plan to go bigger than 35's. My swingout style broke going down the road but it was well used and had a 39.5 tsl on it. If you do not upgrade beyond say 35's go to www.diy4x.com. This is a really nice version of the swingout, much better looking quality than mine is.:D

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

thanks all, just to clarify its a 1986 M1009 CUCV with all that came with it. 6.2 diesel, TH400, 10 bolt six lug axles, and currently 33in tires. i dont think there is a lift kit but im not 100% sure.

i also went out and looked at the rear bumper.... and i might need to get it fixed before i get that diy4x setup, it looks like someone had a "park by feel" incident with a cement block.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

33"s can fit with no lift, especially on stock (i.e. not-so-flexy) springs. 'Swhat I run on my M1009, as I had them left over from my '74, and the 31"s that came with the CUCV were dry rotted.

Check the front; if the springs are negatively arched, i.e like an upside-down U, (well, not THAT arched :) ) they're stock.

If they're flat or arched down, like a U, then they're lift springs.

Rear is tougher, but look for blocks (lifted) :)

-- A