Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spare tire mounting (35 inch)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, May 8, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I don't have a spare as of now. I want to get a mount for the inside of my 89, but the stock location is too small for the tire (rear passanger side along wall) so i found something designed for 73-43 blazers and my questions is can i just bolt it in to my blazer, i mean create holes for it and bolt it in? Thanks http://www.harrispools.com/Branndon/Blazer/Tires.jpg

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

As long as you drill the holes and reinforce the floor underneath it should bolt right in. BUT It may bounce back there because you won't be able to use the #8 bolt that goes to the back of the seat. Plus it will cover ALOT of your rear view. If you want to go as far as bolting something to the floor then why not just lay the tire flat and starp it down? This way you can just take it out and still have ALL of your floor space. Just my .02

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I would have to agree...your visibility would suck.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't think that bolt number 8 goes into the seat. It looks like it is the bolt that holds the spare to the bracket. But indeed, standing a 35 up back there is going to make the rear window all but useless. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

not any worse than it would with most of the swing out rear carriers I see...

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are running a 35x12.50 radial then get a used 35 and it will fit in the stock holder. The back seat will be straight up & down, like in a new extended cab truck. I've had min like this for about three years now. If you get a flat the slightly bigger new tire fits because it has no air. If you have on board air you can fit a new 35 in the stock holder with some of the air out of it. Last , you can see fine with a 35 back there. Think about it: my 35s were 5" taller than my 31s, the 31 was one inch off the bed and the 35 sits on the bed, that means the 35 is only sticking up 4" higher than the stock 31.
    That said I think the holder you found would work fine, too.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I personally like the idea of a prerunner type flat bed mount. The 35'' will fit behind the seat and you can see over it fine, and it can be removed very easily without anything sticking up out of the floor. www.fabtechmotorsports.com/access/access.html