Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare Tire Mounting Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rev, Nov 16, 2004.

1. rev

rev Guest

Sorry to ask a bonehead question...but I'm having trouble figuring out the mounting for my spare tire. I have an '86 CUCV / Blazer, one where the spare mounts on a rack in the back on the right hand side. When I bought it, there was no spare. Now that I have salvaged one, I want to mount it on the rack, but it seems like there should be something in the center of the wheel for the bolt to go through. Am I nuts? Is there in fact a missing piece? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Thanks for the help!

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what hardware you have or not. There is a fairly long carriage bolt that fits in the slot of the tire mount. Your wheel fits flush up against the mount. Then a large washer, large enough to fit over the hole in the wheel, goes into the center, and the bolt goes through that. Then you have capured nut on what resembles a handle, that tightens everyting down. It is an extremely simple design. Sorry I dont have a picture, maybe someone else will.

Also, dont plan on mounting bigger than about a 33 in there. Even with a 33, the rear seat is pushed forward a bit, and the tailgate is a little hard to shut. Unless, of course, do dont have or dont use the rear bench seat.

3. rev

rev Guest

aha...just as I thought. It's the flat washer that I'm missing. Any idea where I can find one?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, dont plan on mounting bigger than about a 33 in there. Even with a 33, the rear seat is pushed forward a bit, and the tailgate is a little hard to shut. Unless, of course, do dont have or dont use the rear bench seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

33'S is it , I have a little breathing room , but not enough for most 35's . The backseat will fit , but the tire may touch , but the seat has give . Also , mount the tire and rim backwards and it will stand up straighter next to the wheeltubs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif