Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spare tire / original

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ta70cst, Dec 3, 2001.

1. ta70cst

ta70cst Registered Member

Does anyone out there know how the spare tire in my 70 cst was mounted ? Was is originaly mounted at all? I am trying to get this baby back to its original condition adn my Dad, (the original owner) does not remember. For years we just had the tire and the jack ect.. just banging around in the back.. was there some sort of holder for all this stuff including the tire?
    Thanks in advance.

2. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I know that there was a bracket that bolted behind the rear seat (If you have one), or behind the driver's seat if you didn't. It would make the spare sit sidways in the blazer. (Parallel to the back seat). That's how mine is. I think that there was also a factory spare tire holder on the outside also. I have holes in my tailgate and rear passenger fender for one of those as well.

3. ta70cst

Thanks,'
    I do have a back seat. do you know 1)what is that bracket called 2) any thoughts on where to get one
    Thanks,
    Tom

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have a completely stock 69 with one. It is a factory tire carrier behind the back seat. It's about 24 inches tall, just taller than the back seat. It only holds a stock size tire. It clould fit taller tires, but the groove for the tires is really narrow. like 7 inches wide. You could probably buy one hear just post it on the message board for selling items. i'm not sure about the swing away on that year. i have looked everywhere and not been able to find one, or a picture that had an original one. if you find one let me know. check out these sites. the first sites are great references have complete list of standard options.
    http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures/blazerb1.html
    http://www.vintagechevytrucks.com

hope this helps.
    69K5
    nathan

stock 1969 K5 cst

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Re: spare tire / original *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ressurection

6. highwaydevil

I also have a larger tire on my holder. I'm running a 31X10.5 at it fits fine.

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested in seeing photos of the stock spare mount too. Right now, I have no spare. I'd really like to get one and I was thinking more along the lines of one of the swing aways but the interior options sounds good too.

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

8. Ressurection

Guys, ran out of time, will try to get pics 4 u tomorrow.

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

9. ta70cst

Thanks for the info, I am new to the site so bear with me.. if I am looking for a part, do I just post on this message board or is there another place.
    Thanks,
    Tom.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=partwanted>Parts Wanted Forum</a>

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. huggerk5

huggerk5 Registered Member

I would like to see a picture. I have 35s. do you think I can make it work? I had given up on it. Was told it would not fit. I am running with out a spare now.

12. Ressurection

Guys, I have pics, I'm just trying to "figger" out how to get them onto my webshots page. Sorry for the delay, but we're almost there. Otherwise let me know your e-mail addresses and I can e- them to you. I'll be back monday night.

13. Ressurection

Awritty-then! Finally got my pics uploaded to webshots. Here they are guys and gals! These are the picso of my original factory interior spare tire mount.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ressurection>http://community.webshots.com/user/ressurection</a>

"High compression engines take longer to start!"&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by Ressurection on 12/20/01 07:17 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by Ressurection on 12/20/01 07:26 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ressurection on 12/20/01 07:27 PM.</FONT></P>

14. Ressurection

just moving it to the top!

15. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Ressurection, thanks for the picks. I doesn't look like you could put a very large tire on that mount. Is that the same mount that goes behind the rear seat?

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

16. Ressurection

Bouncy, that is actually the original mounting bracket for my truck, I don't see why it couldn't be mounted behind the back seat, I don't recall seeing the bracket for that position. The bolt that holds the tire up to it goes through a slot in the bracket, and there's quite a bit of room to go up on mine. My tires are like 30" or so. You could get a longer bolt (which is what I did) for wider tires/wheels.

17. highwaydevil

Looks just like mine. I have it mounted behind the rear seat. There are factory holes there already, with nuts welded underneath.