Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spare Trail Parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 22, 2001.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on doing some 4 wheeling nov. 3rd & 4th with a couple of .....uh...... broncos :(only guys i can find in my area). They said to bring some spare parts incase i break some stuff. Besides u-joints, what else should i bring along in the truck? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mud, the ultimate paint job

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Drive shaft u-joints
    axle shaft u-joints
    axle shafts
    starters
    water
    wire
    lots of tools
    ignition parts if you have them
    full set of plugs
    duct tape
    grease
    brake cleaner
    oil
    trans fluid
    gear lube
    shop towels
    coolant
    belts
    hoses
    wire pieces
    fuses
    more duct tape
    silocone

I think thats about most of what I take.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

And a partridge in a pear tree!!!!
    Where the hell do you sit Ken?[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Oh, and dont forget a spare if it will fit.

Thats all stuff I carried in a CJ7. I am loving all the room in the Blazer. Just need to come up with a spare tire carrier that will handle a 39.5 TSL.

I dont like being stranded.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Aw, that's nothin'! Wait until Dep and Grim post their spare parts listing. Between the two of 'em, those guys could build a spare K5 to drive out. [​IMG]

In Colorado it's important to ALWAYS carry warm clothing. It can snow on you in the upper elevations even in the middle of summer.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Well, I have the usual compliment of tools, and then I just throw any spare part I have back there for the 4x4 trip.

Usual suspects are:
    U-Joints
    axle Shafts
    electrical wire (a must!)
    starter
    spare set of plug wires (usually a set I replaced and still have around)
    cap and rotor (again, usually ones I've replaced)
    Gas can (preferably with gas in it)
    If I'm going into the woods, I bring hedge clippers (don't ask)
    a 2'x2' (or larger) board for jack support
    and last, but not least, a BIG crow bar for leverage

There's some other stuff I have back there, but can't recall it all right now.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

7. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

Don't forget Saltine Crackers and Potted Meat. [​IMG]

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Anybody thats wheeled w/me (or seen my truck, for that matter), will attest to the fact that I never hit the trail w/out my BFH, crow bar, and, of course, duct tape.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.southernhighrollers.com/tips/trailtips.html>http://www.southernhighrollers.com/tips/trailtips.html</a>

Very good lists there.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Very nice! Just what I needed to read before going on my first outing in my K5 this weekend!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

In no particular order......

__Tarp
    __Bolt cutters
    __ duct tape
    __tire gage
    __flashlight w/ spare batteries
    __fishing line
    __rag &amp; hand cleaner
    __fuses
    __JB weld
    __ratchet tie-downs
    __sandpaper
    __oil filter
    __hammer
    __Formula 12/34
    __Windex
    __Rain X
    __puncture seal
    __fix-a-flat cans
    __spare lug nuts
    __4-way
    __chain
    __water
    __engine fluids
    __gas
    __Hi-Lift jack
    __Anti-freeze
    __air compressor/ air source
    __Brake cleaner
    __fan belts
    __Carb cleaner
    __wiper blades
    __grease
    __assortment of nuts &amp; bolts
    __latex gloves
    __super glue
    __Moving blanket
    __crowbar
    __fuel pump
    __bailing wire
    __mud boots
    __WD-40
    __spare socks
    __bungee cords
    __catch can
    __rope
    __funnels
    __fuel filter
    __test light
    __fuel line &amp; clamps
    __paper towels
    __jumper cables
    __Repair manual
    __leather gloves
    __Alumaseal
    __spare bulbs
    __14-16 guage wire
    __Permatex
    __hose repair kit
    __Muffler clamps
    __tow strap(s)
    __Plastic ties
    __ignition parts
    __TP
    __flares
    __rain suit
    __wheel chocks
    __fire starters
    __fire extinguishers
    __hatchet
    __hoses
    __tool box
    __bucket
    __tire repair kit
    __shackles
    __snatch blocks
    __tree strap
    __Come- along
    __Receiver shackle

I probably forgot some of the stuff but that's it for the most part. I usually carry this stuff all the time, but that box hinders MPG [​IMG]

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hahaha were not that bad. Hell Keith cairries Air tools! LOL Sounded like a Nascar tire change when he busted a u-joint at Tellico [​IMG] Blazer guy carries about the same stuff I do. I would for sure get a spare rear axle shaft if you have a 12 or 10 bolt. I also carry spare front shafts but I'm locked and high risk of breaking one. You can always limp out with broken front shafts and help from other trucks.
    Seasonal stuff like warm clothes and blankets is always wise. 5x8 tarp is nice to have to throw on the ground if you do have to work on the truck for some reason you can stay somewhat clean.
    I have a double Jerry can rack and on longer rides I carry 5 gallons of water and 5 gallons of gas. I also carry a gallon of anti freeze and enough of each fluid my truck uses to do a change. So 2 quarts of gear (I have a 203 and it uses motor oil) 5 quarts of motor oil. 4 quarts of ATF. Brake cleaner is a biggie! great for cleaning parts. JB Weld will not stick to oil so if you punch a hole in a diff cover you have to get it oil free before you can JB. I like PB blaster and WD40. PB is a better penetrating and lubricant. WD is good for drying out distributer caps and in fact that was it's original design.
    Now when your packing think ahead. Somebody said "Catch pan" well carrying a plastic catch pan is a pain in the butt! However a AMO can is sealable and will work for a catch pan and makes a dandy tool box or box for spare stuff and dry socks. So it can serve multipe purposes.
    Spare fan belts is a must. You cant run it without water pump turning. Spare belt can be zip tied to the inside of the fenders under the hood. Most parts stores sell a hose patch kit. It has a plastic sleeve and some radiator clamps. Will get you home till you can get a new hose. Spare fuel pump if your in a carb vehicle is also nice. Doesn't take long to replace and fits in the amo can [​IMG]. They fail often in heavy trail use.
    Patch kits and plug for tires are nice but you got to get air in them. K-Mart sells a cheap slow 12v compressor thats small. It will do the job. Some survival gear is alwasy good. First aid kit with a roll of gause, ointments for poision ivy and bee stings and a snake bite kit. My club also make you carry a medical sheet. Lists your insurance and doctor info and any known problems like alergies to stings and meds. Smart to have available if your out cold and people need to get you medical attention or if you have diabets. Helps any rescue workers if that information is available.
    U-joint are great to have but having a tool for replacing them sure makes the job easier. Beating them in and out with a hammer is risky. You can get one for $30-40 from Harbor freight. Complete spare rear drive shaft is good to have if you waste one. Doubly important if you have a slip yoke truck. Some stuff you can hide in the truck till you need it. There is plenty of space behind the side pannels for spare shafts. May take a few extra minutes to get at but they are there and out of the way. Just be sure they are secured in the envent of a roll that side pannel is not going to take 20lb of shaft slamming against it so put a tab that you can use a radiator clamp to hold it to the metal inner fender. Electrical tape any bearing and seal surfaces to keep them from rusting. The brake cleaner will get rid of the glue. Brake fluid. You can pinch off a line with vice grips but if you have already sucked air into the master you still don't have brakes if you can't refill them.
    DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!! The universal tool. Awsome stuff. avery vehicle should have a roll.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

To add to what Grim said about spare shafts behind the rear side panels, I was able to fit 2 assembled front shafts (one for each side) behind the panels back in my 44 days. I found conduit clamps (for attaching electrical conduit to the walls) to work well. Can definitly keep from ruining a perfectly good wheeling trip.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Most important stuff:
    Fire extinguisher
    Spark plug wrench(in case you hydrolock)
    Spare tire (with air in it)
    Hi-Lift jack
    lug wrench
    tow strap.
    jumper cables
    coolant

That should take care of you unless you break some major crap!

Also keep in mind that if you break a steering u-joint, the yokes on the shafts are proabably going to break too when they hit each other so if you don't have the shafts, don't bother taking the steering joints. The driveshaft joints are a different story.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

15. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Don't let Grim scare you. I use to wheel with the Reaper and he always had parts. I too had a list a mile long, but the one or two thing that made life very easy trail side wise was the right spare part list, and onboard air and or a power inverter. The power inverter was the best money I ever spent. Nothing line a drop light in the middle of the trail at night and or an electric impact to get the pesky lug nuts off when it's 30 degrees out.

If you are wheeling a Dana 44 don't forget spare axles. It's a must if you are going to hardcore wheel.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

One thing Grim forgot to mention and I know he carries them is spring pins. When they went on the Dixie run the other week I know Boss was glad that Grim had them.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

17. Grim-Reaper

ROB!!!!! Where you been?
    Rob here is the man! He pulled my sorry butt off of extra credit hill at Tellico at the CK5 2000 run. Some pictures of his 72 shortbed with a TPI on my site.
    Man guy it just isn't the same without you around!
    How's the K5 comming along? You hit a trail with it yet?
    Curtis dumped his ranger on it's side last week at beasley! hahah Check the yahoo link from the club site. There is a picture.
    Ringo dumped 10k into his Jeep. D60's front and rear now haha.
    I bought Kerry's locked axles heheh Detroit in the rear and a lockright in the front...WOW! May be buying Henry's 36 inch swamper or a set of 35 inch KM's

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

18. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Grim,

I've been here all along, just not posting at all. I don't think I have missed a post in a long time. The job keep me very busy. The blazer is comming along. Should be running this next week. I converted the robzilla's motor to the blazer and so on. Quite the task it has been. Have not been on the trail since I have been out here. But I will be on the trail in the next 30 day's I promise, the weather is much more wheeling friendly in the winter months. It's not the same not having the "GBR" meeting to attend, and I wanted to run for office. I will be back for the "Winter Madness" run this year, with the blazer. Yes you heard it, Joey and I are going to drive across country for the ride. Can't miss Tellico in the snow. I should have some Dana 60's by then, I have had my eye out for some.

You should see me more on the board now, I am going to start to post where needed.

See you BIG DOG!!

robzilla

19. Grim-Reaper

KEWL! look foward to seeing you in January. That's going to be a long haul!. It's 13 hours from Dallas TX to Atlanta. I think Phonix is another 8. Iron butt ride for sure if you do it in one day.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper