Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark firing order question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, May 23, 2003.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greetings all,
    OK. I took my K5 in for some exhaust work the other day. Replacing my non-legal non-air injected headers with manifolds. It turned out to be a HUGE fiasco. Anywho, now that I got the truck back, it runs pretty crappy. On acceleration, it seems to be missing, and the idle is a bit rougher. I figured I would do a tune up as I have no idea when it was last given one. I was checking the firing order in my book and my wires aren't on like the book shows. I know the exhaust tech had to take my wires off to get the work done. Would having wires on the wrong plugs give you the symptoms I am experiencing? Would I hurt things if I hooked things up as shown in the book to see if that alleviates the problem? All help is appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah if the wires are mixed up it probably won't run well or at all /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. The firing order should also be stamped on your intake. I can't think of it off the top of my head.

P.S. If they aren't on right find a new mechanic /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    -Brian

3. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am assuming that you have a Blazer with a V-8, be it at 305 or 350. The firing order is marked on the intake. It should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I would mark down where they are at now. Then install them according to the book. If it doesnt help you can then refer to what you wrote down to put it back. Hope this helps.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the plug wires are on wrong then you're lucky that it runs at all. OK, here's the trick to remember the firing order on a SBC. First, the odd numbered cylinders are on the driver's side, even numbers are on the passenger side, both go front to back, so 1 3 5 7 on the driver's side, 2 4 6 8 on the passenger side. The firing order is 18436572, so break it down like this - 18 doubled is 36, 36 doubled is 72, so you get 18 36 72. Put the remaining two numbers in the open spaces and you get 18 4 36 5 72. That's the firing order, 18436572. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So easy that you'll probably never forget it. </font>

5. docgab

OK. Thanks to all who have replied. Your input is much appreciated! I don't know what I was smoking earlier, but I just went and checked the firing order by flashlight and all is a ok. Guess trying to trace those dang wires when everything is hot leads to shoddy work!! lol Now, why would my truck start running like crap all of a sudden? It ran great when I went in with my headers on, ran like crap when it came out with manifolds on. Hopefully after the tune up tomorrow things will be better. Nice trick for remembering the firing order Shaggy!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hey docgab....I didn't realize till today that your mom is married to a guy I work with at BUB Enterprises. Dale is his name. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Your mom was at work for lunch with Dale today, she told me your name on here. I was pretty surprised. Small world eh? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> If the plug wires are on wrong then you're lucky that it runs at all. OK, here's the trick to remember the firing order on a SBC. First, the odd numbered cylinders are on the driver's side, even numbers are on the passenger side, both go front to back, so 1 3 5 7 on the driver's side, 2 4 6 8 on the passenger side. The firing order is 18436572, so break it down like this - 18 doubled is 36, 36 doubled is 72, so you get 18 36 72. Put the remaining two numbers in the open spaces and you get 18 4 36 5 72. That's the firing order, 18436572. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So easy that you'll probably never forget it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Make it stop!!! Make it stop!!! Get the numbers out of my head!! Seriously, I can't stop running this through my head. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifShaggy, That is some crazy a&amp;&amp; new math man...but I like it... Just knowing someone else has the same OCD like affliction w/ number games makes me think I may be OK after all !!??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Cool Trick!!! OH, buy the way everyone...I am not a prisoner "just a geographic reference" will soon be changing my display name anyways... I'm sure you all care.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. docgab

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey docgab....I didn't realize till today that your mom is married to a guy I work with at BUB Enterprises. Dale is his name. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Your mom was at work for lunch with Dale today, she told me your name on here. I was pretty surprised. Small world eh? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a small world for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dale came home the other day and mentioned that they had a "blazer fanatic" at work. First person I thought of was you but thought no way. Then he started talking about a welder named Joe. How many blazer lovers named Joe the welder can there be??? [​IMG] I had to use the Rich Gai connection the other day as finding a passenger side manifold was a beyatch. Ah, the wonderful/painful world of Blazers! [​IMG]

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did you get ur problem fixed? do a full tune up and see what aheppens..i had the same problem a whioe ago with my truck not firing on all cylinder...sounded like a 4 cylinder! ran great one night..the next mourning it was crap. i did plugs,wires,cap,roter,fuel filter,and air cleaner,and a oil change,..she runs like a champ! (just gatta fix the exhuast leak wiht some new header gaskets to make it sound like one lol)

11. docgab

Re: spark firing order question - new prob!! lol

Yep, I did a tune up, replaced all the typical stuff and the engine is running well now. Now I have a new problem. Remember that I am new to all this so this is only my second tune up and first on an HEI setup. Here's the new prob, the dang ttruck won't shift into third (I have an auto)!! Are there some connections anywhere near the dist., spark plugs etc that I may have left off or perhaps knocked loose? Thanks for putting up with my newbie ass. Once again, all help is appreciated!!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmm...all i can say is check your tranny fliud. not shifting into third is tranny related shoouldnt have anything at all to do with what you did. your tranny might be shot. but check your fliud like i said make sure you got enough in there. im pretty new to all this myself but im getting better!

13. docgab

I checked the fluid and all was good. It was bugging me as the tranny has been great up until after the tune up. I checked the engine bay and all was hooked up. For shites and giggles I crawled underneath to check things out. Sure enough, at the back of the tranny/pan there was a vacuum port of some type that was disconnected. Put it back together and it seems to be good now. How in the heck it came unplugged being that it is nowhere near where I was working is beyond me. Just get the timing done and should be ready t o try to get smogged. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

good goin! all kinds of wierd things happen..its like i always say..if it cant possibly happen...CHECK IT! lol...

15. Zeus33rd

The line that got un hooked is the vacumn line for the modulator on the tranny. When you were working on the distributor you must have bumped the line where it goes into the intake manifold. It's a hard line from the manifold to the modulator. With short pieces of rubber line at ea end. So if you bump one end the wrong way, or unhook one end, the entire line moves and can cause the other end to un hook itself. I know cause I did exactly the same thing when I had my auto tranny. One way you can lessen this is to get some new pieces of rubber line to replace the short ones on the ends of the hard line. If the old ones are old, then they probably don't fit to well...New ones will fit tighter and be less prone to un hook themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you want ehlp with your timing, give me a call tommorrow sometime. I'll PM ya the number. Gonna be working on swappin a new axle in my truck, so if ya want take a ride up here, I can set your timing for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    I had to use the Rich Gai connection the other day

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just out at Rich's place yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Had to get a couple brake calipers for cores. Have you ridden around the property in the golf cart or the little car thing he's got? Did he try to get sideways around the dam at the end of the pond? That old fart cracks me up everytime I go out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif lol....Next time you go out there as him to show ya the riding lawn mower with a 3800 pontiac V-6 in it... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. docgab

[ QUOTE ]
    The line that got un hooked is the vacumn line for the modulator on the tranny. &lt;snip&gt; One way you can lessen this is to get some new pieces of rubber line to replace the short ones on the ends of the hard line. &lt;snip&gt;) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal, thanks for the info. It just so happens that I have some tubing after hooking up my canister. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want help with your timing, give me a call tommorrow sometime. I'll PM ya the number. Gonna be working on swappin a new axle in my truck, so if ya want take a ride up here, I can set your timing for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh hell yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'd love the help! The part wasn't as clear in the book so I was dreading it. lol

18. docgab

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just out at Rich's place yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Had to get a couple brake calipers for cores. Have you ridden around the property in the golf cart or the little car thing he's got? Did he try to get sideways around the dam at the end of the pond? That old fart cracks me up everytime I go out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif lol....Next time you go out there as him to show ya the riding lawn mower with a 3800 pontiac V-6 in it... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. I wasn't so lucky!! We just walked over to the ROWS of manifolds that he had. Now that I know about all the fun stuff, I might be in need of some more parts! lol

19. Zeus33rd

Was that you that called today? I apologize for not being around. If ya want to come up sometime tommorrow I can help ya out. After noon would be best. If your not working that is. I'll be around tinkering on stuff tommorrow too. Call my Gramps and leave a message before ya ride up here. You know where Greehorn Rd is? Go about 1/2 mile up Greenhorn Rd to Hollydale. Make a right on Hollydale. Second driveway on the left. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. docgab

yup, twas me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif C'mon, aren't you supposed to always be at my beck and call??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif J/K No sweat about not being able to help yesterday. I'm definitely down for today. After noon is great as my wife will be home from work and will have the kids. I'll call and leave a message this time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks.