Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark gap with MSD igniton w/ 7mm wires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 12, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a MSD 6 box and MSD distributor. I set the gap to approx. 0.050 since my cheap feeler guage only goes to 0.045. The instructions said I could easily go 0.060 with the MSD wires. Well I'm running 7mm wires from Autozone because when I put on the MSD system I wanted to do it right now and not wait for mail order wires.
    My understanding of wires is that 7mm is simply the amount of insulation and doesn;t say how big the conductor medium inside is. So are my wires a big bottleneck for the system?
    Anyone have recomemdation on what to gap at?
    I read on another GM board that the STOCK HEI has enough voltage to reliably jump 0.080. Not sure about that, but if the stock one can do it why not me?
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would run a gap of about .045(I think stock is .035) with 7mm wires. The wires will definetly bottle neck the ignition system. Its like a 5" water pipe flowing into a 3" water pipe, you loose flow capacity. How much? I really couldn't tell you, but you will notice the difference when you put the MSD wires and open the gap to .060. If your truck is running fine with the .050 you have currently, don't muck with it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.