Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plug life

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Aug 24, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok there are people at the dealership claiming to have sparkplugs that will last 50 thousand miles lol, (i call BS) whats up with that? Also, whats the max life on a plug in your guys opinion?

2. kowe

kowe Newbie

They are probably using platinum spark plugs. I am a technician at a Ford dealer and Ford has been using platinum spark plugs for years now. Ford recommends changing them every 100,000 miles. I personally have seen these plugs last over 100,000 miles but not always. It depends on the vehicle and driving conditions. Also OEM plugs seem to last longer than the aftermarket platinum plugs.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats interseting :thumb:

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah no joke man... With platinum tips longevity can be engineered to be anywhere between 50 to 100 thousand miles.

They aint pullin yer leg

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah when the guy said that i was thinking (yeah riiiight) lol :haha: Just like that motor oil thats suppose dto last 10,000 miles lol :D

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

but of course you have to keep in mind that plug life- just liek anything else- depends on driving habits and condition of engine and other components and so forth and so on

personalyl i would never run plugs for any where remotely near that long, thats just insane IMHO

ill stick with good ol AC DELCOS and change every few thousand

good luck

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It depends on the vehicle. Go buy a new vehicle today and it is probably sequential injected and maintains a perfect air/fuel mixture all the time. That and not getting any oil past the rings or through the valve guides is what makes spark plugs last. I have to change the plugs every 6-7K in my blazer because they get cruded up with oil. If I had a 2003 5.3 OBD2 engine than I would change them every 100K.