Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plug positioner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 18, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I noticed these at the performance section in Cherker's today, they come with different sized washers to get the spark plug lined up in the optimum position, anybody use them /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NO but tell me what they do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

They're called indexing washers, and it's one of those little tuning ttricks that you use to try to get the last few horsepower out of a perfectly tuned engine. It's one of those things that some people swear by and others say aren't worth the effort.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not worry about using spark plug indexers in a truck. They mainly are a drag race thing. Indexing your plugs can reduce your ET by as much as a tenth in a good engine if your lucky.
    I dont think they are really worth using in a DD.
    The <font color="red">R</font>ice boys like them. Espically the ones that come with stickers.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Spark plug indexing is common in many race applications. But it is one of those "extreme" things. The HP gain is only maybe a horse or 2, But when you are trying to get every last bit of "legal" power, you would use them. What they do is align the the sparkplug electrode in a position that will allow proper flame travel in the combustion chamber. And the different thickness washers are so you can get ALL the cylinders in the same position. To get optimum power and balance. Do it if you want, Won't hurt anything, but chances are you won't feal it.