Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plug problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, I noticed the other night that two spark plugs on the passenger side (the furthest in the rear and one two up from that, cylinders 4 and 8) had faint flashes coming from where the spark plugs go into the block.... i checked if they were loose and they werent, and i made sure the boots were on all the way... it still did it after and none of the other spark plugs do this... i just changed all the wires, dist. cap and rotor about 2 weeks ago, so it shouldnt be the wires. i also did autolite plugs over the summer...

i did take one of the two plugs out and the only thing i noticed was possibly a small part of the center around the metal in the spark plug either didnt have the build up i think spark plugs get or it may have slightly chipped... i dont understand how that could make it flash past the plug though... but its really run fine since then.. i just wanted to know if this could turn into a problem and what it might be.

thanks,
    matt

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Matt I've noticed the same thing...if you look closely, at least no the cheap plugs I was inspecting, brand new, you could see the "arc" through the insulators.

If its running fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If they are cheap plugs, I'd suggest going to some AC Delco's or other quality brand. I had two of the brand new cheapy plugs (autolites) fail within 20 minutes of a cam/lifter break-in, and that will be the last time I use them.

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thanks

are the bosch platinums worth getting? and they'll work ok in my 305 right? i've heard some people say they couldn't use them in their big blocks for some reason, that it seemed to run better with other brands

thanks again,
    matt

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

do a search on spark plugs, platniums are good for FI engines, if you are carbed go with the regular AC delcos. i've noticed my carbed engine runs way better with them. i did not notice any diff with the platniums, just on my wallet...

forgot to mention 350/vortec heads/flat tops/qjet/rv cam/auto tranny

ARQ.