Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plug questions... sorry, no poll.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Dec 1, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The machine - 1972 C10, rebuilt 350, HEI conversion, runs good and clean, burns no oil, doesn't smoke. Gets 18 MPG average.

The story - It has always ran good. The exhaust is junk so I swapping on some old headers I have. I took out the plugs and they are some Splitfire plugs.

The questions - I bought some plugs for the '72, R44T. Will they work ok? Will the MPG change at all? Should I exchange them for some R45TS? Are splitfire plugs worth the $$$?

Side story - I have been away from dial up for a year and a half now. I'm using my mom's puter (dial up) for this and it really sucks. And yes, I voted! :D End of story.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The R45TS are longer plugs, the R44T is shorter.

I got the best results with 45TS in my 77 350. Also tried the Rapidfire's and they made mine run like crap. I have the 44T in it now and they are not quite as smooth at idle.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the Rapidfire info, I'll count them out.

Could you notice any power or MPG changes with the 44's and 45's?

:laugh:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Not so far. I get good throttle response with the R44 just a slightly rougher idle. Next time I get a set though it will be the 45TS. Just my personal taste. Lots of guys swear by the 44T.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks. I will put the 44's in and try them. If I don't like them I can always change 'em out later.

;)

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ac....

I beleive R44T's are the correct plugs for a 71 350 if its all original heads,etc..--but the R45TS plugs will work just as well..

I've had 3 1971 350's,mine all had the "chevy puff" when you started them,but didn't consume much oil..I found the R45TS plugs avoided fouling longer and seemed to be a bit cleaner looking when I pulled them out compared to the R44T plugs..I didn't notice any change in gas mileage,and only a slight if any perfomance increase with the R45TS plugs... :crazy:

One of those 350's had Champion J-8 lawnmower "gasket seat" plugs in it when I got it! :haha: --it ran much better with the AC R44T's I put in.. :crazy:

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't know what year the heads are, but I doubt they are the originals because it has a rebuilt engine in it. I will be replacing the valve covers soon I will get the head numbers.

Whoever put this motor in must have needed some sheetmetal, because it has crappy chrome valve covers, oil pan, and timing cover. The chrome stuff is junk and leaks horribly. I will swap it all out for OEM parts when I locate them.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Chrome kills...

Many of those cheap chrome tiwan valve covers lack the oil spray guides that help lube the rocker arm balls,also many dont have the baffles for the breather and PCV valve,and cause oil to be sucked into the cylinders and burned..many have no provision for a breather too,which can cause the same scenario..

I've seen motor run nearlly out of oil because of this,it doesn't always make enough smoke so its noticeable,but it eventally empties the crankcase....I hate aftermarket chrome crap!..I'd rather have rusty stock covers than those..timing chain covers are crap too!..so thin they warp instead of crushing the gaskets!.. :mad: