Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plug wire cracks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Apr 17, 2003.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

One of my plug wire has some small cracks in it where it was resting againt the header tube. Would a few small cracks in 1 wire be enough to cause the truck to run rough and lose power?

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if its arcing to the header it can miss and run reeeeeaaaaal bad...had a buddy do the same thing on his 80 chevrolet...he actually electrical taped it up temporarily and it ran a little better but either way id replace it and invest in some clips to keep them away from the headers

Later

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One of my plug wire has some small cracks in it where it was resting againt the header tube. Would a few small cracks in 1 wire be enough to cause the truck to run rough and lose power?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, get new wires.

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Electrical tape! Good idea! I'm going to to go do that now to see if it fixes it. I am going to get a new wire of course.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but either way id replace it and invest in some clips to keep them away from the headers

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. New wires are the only way to go. Plus they are cheap.

John

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Wow, I had no idea 1 small crack in 1 plug wire would cause cause the engine to miss, and feel like it had no power, and make the whole truck shake. I have a little bit of driveline vibration I need to take care of, and the truck was shaking so bad from the wire crack, I tought i had broke something and the extra vibes were from the driveline instead of the plug wire. I put some elctrical tape on it, and it runs perfect now. Nice and smooth and all the power is back. Thanks for the help! Thanks to Pure Insanity for suggesting the it was a burnt wire in the 1st place, otherwise I would have ended up taking it to the shop.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Always glad to help!

Later

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

funny! im going through the same thing today. my truck was doing the exact same stuff...arcing against the header pipe...ran liek crap..im putting new wires as we speak. but im confused cuase one of the wires has the same ends on both ends. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Are some of them at a 90 degree angle on both ends? Some of mine are that way, I think it's for clearance.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I run all 90* ends on mine. They are close, but not touching. Average wires may be burnt from being that close but the Taylors are holding up fine so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Pure Insanity

Oh BTW, did this take care of all the shakes shudders and other misc. things that were wrong?

Look at all the heart ache you could have saved yourself if ya just drove 10 miles to my house to let me look at your rig.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

all of t hem are but for two..have a striaght plug on them...i dunno what thats for or what...but i cant even find my damn keys..so im not sure if this fixed it or not lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Any of You other People ever open the hood, at night, with the engine running, in total darkness, and have a look at the "Lightshow" that go's on when the wire's are bad?
    Look's like a miniature Thunderstorm going on. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i would suggest getting these Litte boot lookin things, they sell them at auto parts stores, they are kinda Spendy, but they will not let your wires burn ever again, when i got the MSD stuff, i decided to put these boots on so as not to burn up some spendy plug wires,

They are made of some Fire/Burn proof material. like 50 bucks for 8 i think. come in different colors too ;P

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wha tboot things you mean? the wires i got were like 25 bucks or so for a set of 8.

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

they are about 6 inches long, and they are Meshed Kevlar or some crazy [censored], all i know is a few of them are resting on my headers, and i put them on last summer... None of them have burned through yet, And before i had these, i would burn up plug wires all the time. go to a few parts stores and ask about them. they should have them,.

17. Pure Insanity

Ive seen that before. Kinda kool lookin. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I also found a bad exhaust valve one night working on my Jeep in the "dark". I had 1 header tube glowing nice and red when I would wrap it up to about 3000 or above. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Couldnt see it in the day light, but when it was dark, it showed up real good.

18. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

It's like a whole new truck now. Amazing to say the least. I still have some vibes in the driveline, which I'm have a way to get rid of without putitng blocks in, but the vibes arn't anywhere near as bad as what the missing was doing. The trucks driveable now! And whats this I'm reading about you not wheeling for awhile?

19. Pure Insanity

I thought I toasted another tranny, and like you I pitched a hissy fit and was done for a while. At least I wasnt gonna sell mine. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I was just gonna take a break and go drag racing for a while.

But all is well, it was just the rear brakes hanging up for some reason. I havent torn it down yet to see WHY it was doing it since the Subie has a flat and I havent had time to get new tires. As soon as the Subie is back on all 4s Ill be tearing PI apart again. But very temporary. Weld the rear, fix some leaks, maybe upgrade to rear disks at the same time, reinforce and brace the steering box, ETC. Lotta little things.

20. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't know I had that much of an influence.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif