Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plug Wires - UNrecommended :-(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Oct 2, 2005.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For the last 15 years or so, I've been a big fan of Taylor Spiro-Pro plug wires. I really liked the fact that they came with a lifetime warranty. But I have a set that have failed, and now arc all over the engine bay. Imagine my surprise when I called Summit Racing to have them exchanged, only to learn that Taylor now only offers a 90 DAY WARRANTY :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: You can read the actual warranty here: http://www.taylorvertex.com/hp/warranty.aspx

So I hereby retract ANY recommendation for their products!!! :angry1:

I have sent them an email asking them to exchange the set that I have, because I still have the piece of paper from the box that says mine came with a lifetime warranty. We'll see if they at least honor that. :rolleyes:

I guess the good ol' lifetime warranty Autolite plug wires are looking better. At least they only cost around $20. :wink1:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I really like my MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires. I don't know what there warranty is but I have had my set for over 4 year with no problems.

Harley

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Autozone baby, el cheapo, a definate lifetime warranty, always worked fine for my application :waytogo: maybe not the best brand name on the market, but with a stock motor,,, :dunno:

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My bet is they will honor YOUR lifetime warrenty,since you have documentation to the fact.

Just keep on them about it.

Good luck.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I had a set of the MSD super Conductors and they did the same thing arced all over the place by the plug boots. Sad that the $ 100.00 MSD's only have a one year warrantee while the less expensive Autolite professionals come with a lifetime warrantee. The real sad thing is that I sent MSD two e-mails and a letter requesting that the three wires that were broken be replaced and they didn’t even replay. So much for “Customer Service”.. MSD LOST me as a customer, I will never purchase another crappy MSD product.

6. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

I have some napa cheapys they work great . :D

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Don't normally hear those tow words in the same sentence :doah:

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Huh, and I thought MSD was good stuff. Guess not. Customer service to me comes before everything. If a company does not believe customer service is a top priority and treats it's customers like that, there's no point in doing business with them, even if their products are actually good.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with Jacobs.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

MSD used to have a problem with this and that's why they changed their boots to a different material that elminated that issue and also has a much higher resistance to heat. They also have a 5 year warranty now, not sure what it used to be. I've run MSD wires for 20 years now and have never had a problem with them. They are the best wire if you have headers and the wires are anywhere near the header tubes.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if they won't help you after that, tell them you will have your lawyer contact them

12. westcoastblazin

westcoastblazin Registered Member

I agree, I have the same wires on my SBC, they work great.

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sucks. I, too, have been running Taylor Spiro-Pro for as long as I can remember. I've always replaced mine because they got dirty (usually around the 40,000 mile mark when I do an entire ignition tuneup) and used them as spares or to put on some junker (AKA friend's vehicles) to get it to run.

It sounds like I might have to switch to Accel or something. If they're only going to warrantee them for 90 days then there must be some kind of problem with them.

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Factory Parts

AC Delco cap, rotor, & wires. Good enough for millions and millions of GM cars, good enough for me.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a set of the Taylor Spiro-Pro wires on my S-10 that have been on there for at least 10 years. It also has headers, so I would have expected that set to fail first. The set that failed on the '94 Sub only lasted about 5 years, on a bone stock engine.

Meanwhile, my '90 Sub has 159K on the clock and the wires appear to be the factory originals. Right down to the cylinder number printed on each wire. :cool1:

I guess I'll be going back to $20 wire sets from Autozone. :doah:

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I dont understand why you would change just because of the warranty period? They last a very long time and much longer than most other wires. They are cheaper or the similar price to other wires.

If you go buy Auto Zone or whatever brand cheapies, you'll probably get a similar 90 day warranty. And then you'll more than likely have to replace them after a year or so. Then you'll have more money into wires when you could've just stuck with Taylors that will last.....

I do agree that they should honor your lifetime warranty. You bought a product that had that warranty. Just because the newer stuff is less, they still have to honor the prveiously purchased products.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever tried Magnecor Wires? Given the price of MSD ("Major Sh!!ty Device" to some ppl) wires I'm tempted to try some.

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Back when I had my Probe, alot of guys ran them. Heard alot of good.

Most in that crowd liked the NGK wires better.

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

hmmm, i have had my set of "LIFETIME warrantied" wires on my truck for alittle over 2years, with no issues as of yet, and as it says,,,
    "LIFETIME warranty" :p:

20. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I run the Bosch wires from Autozone. They are like $30 and I just use the warranty to get new ones every couple of years.