Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plug wires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Oct 22, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well my Jimmy has been running kind of bad lately and I figured it was time to do something about it.
    I just installed some new spark plug leads. They are Aurora 8.5mm super mag plus wires, lifetime warranty. These things work awesome!! I used to have the Accel Super Sport wires, and they don't even compare. I did'nt have much of a choice on doing the wires though, my last wheelin trip saw my battery mount (bungee cord[​IMG]) break and the battery went into the alternator. Doh!!! That soaked the engine compartment down pretty good and ate the outer jacket off of the wires.
    So #1: New battery today.
    #2: Fixed battery hold down properly[​IMG]
    #3: New spark plug wires[​IMG]
    #4: New fuel filter
    Damn it runs nice now.
    So has anyone heard of the Aurora wires? They are a local company but I don't know where else they are sold.

Rene

[​IMG]

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You must have been getting a a little radical to have your battery fly into your alternator. You did wash out the engine compartment, right, we don't want any residual acid eating away at your truck. Anyway, I have never heard of "Aurora" sparkplug wires, so you must be the only one that has them. LOL - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. tRustyK5

I tried to rinse off what I could on the trail, btu there was not much water to rinse with [​IMG]. So my chrome air filter, wires etc. looked pretty bad by the time I got home. Surprisingly that battery held up for 3 more months before it wouldn't hold a charge any more.
    It was a pretty nasty trail though, lots of steep sections and big rocks, and really narrow. Unfortunately the area is going to be logged soon.[​IMG] So now they have "improved" about the first half of the trail. I guess those logging trucks don't rock crawl very well [​IMG].

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Improve? That would take the fun out of it! LOL

I think I have heard if Aurora. I usually use Taylors from Summit. I have used them for many years with no problems and I have even had them working under water with no problems! And they are only about $40.

But it sounds like you got a good set of wires!

:)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. tRustyK5

Sorry if I could find a sarcastic smily I would have used it immediately after the word improved. The beginning of the trail is all cross ditched, sorry WAS cross ditched. At least the gnarly part of the trail is still there and open, but for how much longer nobody knows for sure. I'd like to make one more trip before its all gone!
    The fun part of the trail is the last 3 miles before the Hot springs, the old road has been eroded down to the boulders underneath from the winter runoff going down the road instead of the creek, I guess we'll have to wait for Mother Nature to do her work again after the logging company is done with it.
    Thats how we get all our trails up here, they call it secondary use after an area has been logged or mined or whatever. The longer its been since the activity stopped the nastier the trail.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Could you please compare apples to apples !
    Acid splashed wires with xxx miles compared to Brand New Out Of The Box ?
    Now put a set of New Wal-Mart( or the cheapest you can find) wires on, and tell us the difference !

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

LOL, no prob!! :)

Sounds like you guys have a lot of trails up that way and it sounds like the kind of trail I like to run!:)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

9. tRustyK5

I'll give you apples to apples. The Aurora wires make the truck run better than the Accel Super sport wires (6 months old) did when they were new. Same coil, plugs, carb, everything is the same. The truck starts easier than it ever did with the Accels (pre-acid bath) runs smoother and seems to have better throttle reponse. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that in my first post. [​IMG]
    Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and send me some cheap Wal-Mart wires? I'll do a write up comparison complete with resistance values for each wire.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

10. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

What kind of wire are the Aurora's? Solid wire core, carbon core, spiral wrap core? What kind of insulation? Silicone?

11. tRustyK5

I'm reading off the box here: "fiberglass core, spiral wound stainless steel conductor, ferrite/latex coating, high temperature insulation with fiberglass braid, high temperature silicone jacket, high temp silicone boot, double spring lock terminals, air crimped to resist pull-off. This is all descibing a cut away view of the wires.
    They are 8.5mm and are Red (if it matters)
    All I know for sure is they work very well, and they are competitively priced.

Rene

[​IMG]

12. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene,
    Iv'e not heard of Aurora but I'm going to look for them. I believe good wires do make a difference. If anybody finds a source, please post it.

13. tRustyK5

tom, I just alked to the guys at Aurora Electronics. They are currently working on a web-site but its not up yet.
    They gave me an e mail addy though so you can get some more detailed info. gbeuchler@direct.ca

The thing that impressed me was they have header specific applications, I've never run across that before.
    The nearest place to find them would be WA state so far, but they said they do direct sales and shipping as well.

Hope that helps.

Rene

[​IMG]