Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plug Wires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Dec 2, 2000.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was just wondering what ya'll thought of Borg Warner spark plug wires. I have a set on my K5 and the mechanic I go to thinks their crap, even though I just changed them a few months ago.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I never heard of BW spark plug wires, but If you want some better ones, get some MSD super conductor wires or some Taylors. They are both really good, but the MSDs are expensive.

90K5

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I've seen many posts about Jacobs wires...all positive. I plan on replacing mine with Jacobs as soon as I hear the first misfire from under my hood.
    For the newbies, the same posts said the Jacobs Electronic Ignitions are to be avoided. MSD's get all the praise in that department.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I've used borg wires before. they were ok not great but ok. For the chevy HEI ignition your wires should be the 8mm size. I've found that 7mm tend to leak voltage and cause small misses.
    To see if your wires are shorting,Pop the hood. Look at the wires with your engine running in the dark. If your wires are shorting you will see the sparks shooting out from the wires. If you see small sparks replace them. Taylor, MSD, Jacobs,Mallory all make good wires. I've never had good luck with Accell wires.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

To each his own on this one, but unless your engine is modified, don't waste your money on expensive plug wires because the benefits don't out weight the costs. Use GM replacements.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I had bad luck with Taylor (blue) wires with my stock HEI '87.
    I changed to NAPA Gold 8mm lifetime. They have been on 4 years now and
    no problems. Just my experience....

SteveB

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind that all mechanic have their own opinons(my dad did!!). Unless an engine is modifided, I believe you stay with OEM AC Delcos. GM spent a lot of money doing research on them for there engines. Who am I to second guess the people who made the engine. Just my (mechanical) opinon!

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gm engineered their wires to be 'just good enough'. Same reason 10 bolts became stock equipment. Its just my opinion, but 'just good enough' doesn't fly on my truck. I use 8.5 mm spiral core wires, a hotter coil and some platinum plugs. It runs better now than it ever did.
    If you want real reliability and longevity from your truck there are some parts that must be upgraded. Again, just my opinion, but I plan on having my truck a long time so overkill is just enough![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Did test between napa gold ac delco and accel super stock all 8mm. Ac plugs had least resistance per foot, than accel than napa gold. Can't remember exact figures but ac delco was best by far. Napa and accel were very close.

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I had a bad experience with Accel wires. One of the HEI connectors became all rusted and caused misses. I switched to MSD red 8.5mm wires and no problems at all.

If you want to save about $20 on these wires, buy a 25ft roll of cable, a pack of 9 HEI connectors and a pack of 9 spark plug connectors. Cut them and crimp them yourself. It's very easy. That's what I did and no problems at all.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hey for a great deal, check out the Bosch "Super Premium" cables at Autozone. They are 8mm, spiral core and similar to a lot of $40-$50 wires. They are only $20 for a Blazer, though, even though the same brand costs more for other vehicles.

"All right...who keeps squirting this oil in my driveway?"

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I run Taylor Wires from Summit Racing. They have never let me down and I have been running them for years! Also, they are only about $40 at Summit!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too am running Summit Brand 8mm and I mesured the resistance for every wire after I crimped it and they all, even the longest one had very low, less than 80ohms,of resistance and they have worked like a champ ever sence. Well worth the 40 bucks!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

15. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

While we are at it, what plugs do you guys use? What gap would be best with stock hei and good wires? How about caps also, I need to do my first tune up since I bought my rig. thanks.

16. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I always use ac delco plugs. Also use either an M.S.D. cap and rotor or accel. Never any trouble out of either. Gap .035 for stock ignition system.

17. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

what 90k5 said the msd wires are great. spend the110 dollars they are worth it!!