Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plug ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tim_87, Mar 27, 2002.

1. tim_87

tim_87 1/2 ton status

wondering if anyone else has had problems with ac delco rapidfire plugs. they will not keep their gap.
    ready to change to some other brand. what brand has everyone had the most luck with. my blazer is a 87 with 350 tbi. thanks

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I haven't ever used the rapidfire plugs. It sounds to me like the piston may be making contact with the plug, you may want to take one of them out and compare it to another brand, you may find that it is a little bit longer than others, thats the only reason that I can think of for the gap to change after installation. Oh yeah I am assuming that the gap is closing up on you right ?

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt the top end of our '89 and used rapidfires. It ran like crap and blew off the very tip of the little arm over the center electrode right after start up. Switched to the standard AC plugs and never had a problem. I'd stay away from that rapidfire, splitfire, or whatever mircale fire they have out this week. The voltage has to jump a gap, using funny looking little electrodes that can fire off of a multiple points still does the EXACT same thing, jump the gap. I switched to AC platniums and haven't had trouble yet. Of course my new motor has been run for a like a total of 15 minutes. I like the fact that they have a 100,000 mile warranty and pretty much look like a normal plug.

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

im using some autolite platniums and they have been doing great for $2 a plug

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

never had a prob with rapidfires. I use them in several motors including the ZZ4. They come standard in the ZZ502.

Just my .02,
    John

6. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I ran the AC Rapidfires in a '93 Camaro and they did not last long. Only had about 22K miles on them and they were worn out. The gap was off (wider) than normal or expected and they started causing hesitation problems under load. They were suppose to last at least 40K miles. Went back to standard AC Delco plugs and it runs much better. FYI: I did have the first version of the plug. The second version of rapid fires now have a platinum tip and slightly different design. I think AC Delco realized they had a design flaw and took a second look at the design. I didn't want to bother with them again for $4 a pop.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have the best luck with regular A-C delco and Autolites. never had a problem with these. Just change them once a year and everythings fine.
    I'v tried platinum plugs and splitfires and am not very impressed with them. They seem to wear out just as fast or faster than regular plugs. I think they are a waste of hard earned money.
    I made the mistake of putting a set of bosch platinums in a high compression engine I built. After a few weeks it developed a miss. I pulled the plugs and the center electrodes were burnt and cracked. I.m lucky that a piece of the cracked ceramic insulator didn't fall off and ruin a cylinder.
    I think the best plug made for the Chev is regular old A-C Delcos they are reliable, last a long time, and stand up well to hard driving. They will perform just as well as any of those high dollar plugs.
    Experiment with the gap to get the best performance. With a HEI you can gap them anywhere fron 35-45 thousands. Find the gap where they run the best for youe engine.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Champion Truck plugs. They have worked very well for me. The havn't had any clearence problems, and I run .060 gap for my MSD. They are a little price, but last a long time. They also have held there gap very well.

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I've always used regular old Ac-Delcos, R45TS, with no problems at all. I shy away from shitfires or other hype. I've tried the Bosch +4 in my commuter car and I can't tell any difference between them and the original plugs. I'm going back to the OEM NGK plugs for it. Just my .02. Hope I didn't step on anybody's toes.

Will

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have had very good success with the NGK V-power plugs. They last a long time and are reasonably priced. Smoother running, quicker starting, better fuel economy. What more could you ask for.