Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plugs and headers.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, May 29, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

how do you guys and gals avoid burning your spark plug wires on your headers?
    does anyone recommend a brand of wires?

thanx

Knife.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm using MSD 8.5mm (red) wires. They have huge sparkp-plug boots. Besides I used DEI boot protectors which are some kind of heavy-duty cloth covered with aluminum foil. The wires go through Spectre wirelooms. The attachment show the DEI boot protectors being installed on my old Accel cables.

I got everything from Summit. I saved about $20 by ordering a 25-foot roll of bulk cable, connectors and boots and crimping them myself. The trick for not burning them with the headers was to tighten the wire loom so that there's not enough slack for them to touch the header.

If you do get the DEI boot protectors, order the bulk cable because the big boots on the pre-assembled wire won't fit through the protector.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Oops! forgot the attachment. Here it is.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I've got 8mm Accel wires on an HEI distr rigged with Fiberglas sock tubing from the local hot rod store. It comes in a bulk roll. You have to fab the booties yourself -- about 6" each. Make a 7/8"-1" ring outta baling wire, tuck one end under and secure with ziptie. It's cheaper than the prefab booties. A mech wanted to know where I got the Asbestos! It may be in crayons but it's not in fiberglas. Although it does look, smell and taste like asbestos! (?)