Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plugs and spark plug wires?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer-Boy, May 6, 2002.

1. Blazer-Boy

Blazer-Boy Registered Member

I just noticed my truck was "missing" the other day. It really didnt affect anything until yesterday. Now it sputters and the exhaust crackles. I know that its not the distributor. A friend told me it is most likely the spark plugs or the spark plug wires. I decided to go ahead and replace them, but I wasnt sure on the brand to get. I've heard good things about Bosch platinums, but then I've also heard bad things about them. Any suggestions or reccomendations would be helpful.

2. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I would recommend ac delco plugs. The standard ones are great, and if you want to spring for the delco rapid fires, I have had great luck with them. As for the wires, I have had good luck with the plain old yellow 8mm accels. They hold up well around headers. Also, Borg Warner makes good wires. I have also had good luck with ngk plugs, but prefer ac delco - "Keep you GM all GM". Just a suggestion.
    eric

3. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

BB, depending on how you use your K5, there are performance products out there. Higher conductivity wires, the platinum plugs you mentioned, etc. But I just picked up a set of name brand (can't remember which, now-it was a couple years ago) wires from my local (independent, not chain store- the chain stores I've been in appear to hire mindless brain-farts and I don't trust them or their products) auto parts store. The plugs are basic champion. I don't compete, or push it really hard, but she runs smooth as silk, and verrrry reliable! The biggest problem I had was threading the wires!
    That's my $.02 worth!

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've used Bosch Platinums for nearly 20 years now and haven't found a complaint about them. They hold up better in a really high RPM engine (something that sees in excess of 9K RPM for extended intervals) than just about any conventional plug. You likely won't see a big benefit from using them if you aren't running high compression, a long duration cam, or very high RPM.

The Borg-Warner wires mentioned previously are actually pretty good wires at a reasonable price. They make a couple of different kinds. Make sure you get the spiral-wound wire. It's pretty good. On the more expensive side, I like the MSD ignition wires. They have the lowest internal resistance of any of the performance resistor wires and seem to be more consistent than some of the others. Stay away from Mallory wires. I killed a set of 8 on a 4-banger in less than a month (went through two sets of 4, then was stupid enough to buy another set of 8 and do it all over again with the same results).

5. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

Come on, take it easy on the parts guys. I work for a chain store. I agree there are some idiots out there, but look around and you can find some good countermen out there. I would consider myself knowledgeabe, however, there are some mindless drones out there. But please, don't pass judgement on all of us. No problems, just letting everyone know, that we are not all morons.
    eric

6. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey 1b82, I guess that did come across as a sweeping generalization. Didn't mean for that to happen. I did have a couple problems at a couple major chain type places, and just consider myself luck to have found a really decent and knowledgeable independent. My apalogies!

7. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

No problem, just had to vent.
    eric