Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plugs Crusty, Need Answers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Question. I pulled the spark plugs to clean and regap them yesterday. The #6&8 plugs had a fairly bad buildup of crust on them around the base of the electorde and on the electrode. What exactly is this? Is is bad carbon buildup? It seemed to be whiteish brownish color.

Specs: Fairly stock 350, MSD Box, coil, wires, and cap & rotor. I am using Champion Truck Plugs which have always worked well for me in the past. I also just moved to Colorado from AZ so I am at higher elevation so I know that I am running rich. Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Harley

2. Hossbaby50

Re: Spark Plug Question

Nobody can help me on this? Any ideas? Thanks

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

TTTA. Please help. Someone has had to experience this before and know what it is and what can be done. Thanks

Harley

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

its sediment, and aslong as there isnt any black stuff, or melted metal on the plug itself, wouldnt worrk about it.

5. Hossbaby50

why does the sediment build up? It only does it on the #6&8 cylinders. Any other info would be great. Thanks

Harley

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Poss the valve guides worn some on those cylinders.If just off color little wouldn't worry much.Unleaded gas nowdays causes more valve wear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you use any additives (104+, etc.)? They can cause funky build up on the plugs.

9. Hossbaby50

No addatives on this set of plugs. I do think I have worn valve guides as those cylinders do have an oil burning problem. Its not bad, but you can tell that those cylinders in perticular leak oil from somewhere. I am not to worried about the crust on the plugs as I have the MSD ignition which will fire threw about anything. I am just trying to figure out what is causing the build up and what it is. Thanks

Harley

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Valve guide seals...the crud is oil. Do a compression test. if it comes up goo then you can put umbbella seals on. Not hard not expensive. Just need about $8 worth of umbrella seals and a couple special tools that are not expensive and most parts stores carry. Just takes time and you have to readjust the valves. It's in even a cheap haynes manaul. even a cheap manual has pictures of plugs to give you an idea of what sort of problems your engine is having. Reading plugs for some reason is a forgotten art that is so simple and can tell you so much.

11. Hossbaby50

Ya, my Chiltons had pics of the plugs in it, but it is now MIA. I couldn't find it before I left AZ.