Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plugs, newb like question I guess...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 6, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just don't know enough about spark plugs. Whats up with the different heat ranges? Hotter plugs? Advantages of Platinum and double Platinum? Where they should and shouldn't be used? Anyone know a good article or some resource to learn this stuff? Dealership enviroment doesn't give me much chance ot learn this stuff. Its just, put in what was factory and thats that. Which works very well, but for performance stuff I just don't know.

Like what plugs should be in my Sister's 5.0 mustang? Her ex puts AutoLite plugs in EVERYTHING and I just don't have a good feeling about them overall. Or what belongs in my Propane powered 383 project? How about Dad's Alcohol fueled 350??

I'm "sparked" onto this topic by my 97 pickup. I want to put an MSD box that I have sitting around on the truck until the S10 is ready to run. If it makes an improvement I will likely buy a new one for the S10 and leave this one on the 97. But what about spark plugs? I mean MSD says in their instructions about opening the gap due to the better spark now present. But you can't regap platinum plugs. Or at least are not suppossed to. So wtf would be the right way to go on a 97 350? I mean, stick with stock plugs? Run older non-platinums at a bigger gap(and change them more frequently)? or some other option?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I've gapped platinum plugs no problem. I guess if you change your spark plugs more than every 100k or you don't mind changing a plug then you don't need to put plats back in the 2500.

I guess the benefit of plat plugs is that they last longer. Joe Blow doesn't want to change his spark plugs every 20k miles.

Autolites work well in fords, considering ford used to own autolite. Champion's are junk and bosch plugs only belong in German automobiles. The more than one electrode thing seems like snake oil to me. If it were any good, then gm would be making and installing them in their engines.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Make it simple for ya,,,,,,,,,,,

AC Delco
    R45T---

:D

6. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

Cold plugs=more highway driving than anything

Hot plugs=stop and go

...if i'm not mistaken that is.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dam, I can remember having to tune up twice a year..

8. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

generally speaking you want to run the hottest spark plug possible without causing detonation, the hotter plugs cause faster combustion and better performance.

as for gapping, you want the widest gap possible without misfire issues. the larger gap creates a larger spark kernal which causes a faster flame front propogation, lower emissions, and better gas mileage.

as for the newfangled plugs with two, or four electrodes, they really dont offer any better performance, what they offer is multiple spark paths which cause less fouling and longer lasting spark plugs. if you put in a four electrode plug, THEORETICALLY it means the plug should last four times as long. factor the cost difference into it to see if its worth it.

Really, if you run factory plugs with an aftermarket high performance ignition and coil, and enlarge the gap to take the higher current into account, you will be better off than putting alot of money in some "high tech" spark plugs.

spark plug design really hasnt changed much over the years, the reason for that is that they pretty much nailed it on the first try.