Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plugs vs headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 25, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How in the @#$% do you change spark plugs with headers? I finally got my exhaust done, and the truck back on Monday... well I was like cool, I will take out my crispy fried plugs now, and put in the new ones, and the ceramic wires I bought. I was stoked! Finally, a running truck... Ok so I get one of the suckers out, it was easy, nothing in the way.... now I can't get the other 7 out! I am about to take a sledge hammer to this thing. How do I get them out? It's been two hours of rolling around under there and not being able to do this.... is there so magic trick, or am I just gonna have to have it towed to a shop and let them have the joy of doing it? I'm at the end of my rope with them... I actually have managed to do a lot.... lot to go, but at least it's going to run once I get this basic crap done someday... thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Are You using a Ratchet and a spark plug socket?
    Try using a 5/8" combo wrench for the hard to get at plug's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Also You may have to flatten out some of the tube's right where the wrench/socket have to go,to gain a little more clearance on em.

3. ChevyCaGal

Yeah, I'll try a wrench.... as far as flattening them, they just got put on this past week, and I'm sure that'd void my warrenty real quickly.... dang it, why didn't I change them before?! Doh! *smacks forehead* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Your'e gonna have to change them yearly, or sooner anyhow, so get used to the Fun involved. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know some people mention using "crows feet" wrenches or something entirely different than that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, it's basically an open end wrench "head" (just the "forks" from the tip of one) that takes a square drive. (socket wrench, 3/8" from the ones I've seen)

Haven't had to mess with headers yet, but that day is coming .

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

BTW, purchase a pair of Mecanix Glove's, they will help protect Your hand's from getting fried, if You do it, when it's still a little hot. [read] OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

mechanics dolly and roll up under the truck. of course some you will have to dofron the top, but ican get the rest from the bottom. do yourself a favor and buy some ratcheting open end wrenches

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    69k5

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I pick my truck up tomorrow from the muffler shop...with Doug Thorleys bolted on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...The guy told me to go buy new plugs since he had to take them out to put the headers on...so bling...I'm good for awhile...
    I have a bud down the street that I get to do things like that, if I'm under my truck my girls are under it too, so I get him to help out for a little cash....this is one of them...
    [​IMG]

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Like I said in chat, the best way now would be the most involved. Drop the headers, change the plugs, put the headers back on. Would take all of 1 hour to do.

Yes that is including the p/s pump bracket being removed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Right now you have fresh gaskets so loosening them up for the spark plug swap won't affect them.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

A U-Joint socket works wonders...

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

What brand of headers did you get?
    BTW if it makes you feel any better, it takes me about three hours to change the plugs on my IROCZ that has headers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I can get 7 of 8 with a socket. The last one i need to use a wrench and after an hour of cursing it comes out. Since I have a lot of room in the engine bay anymore I just unbolt the headers and lay them over to get access to the plugs. So now whenever I buy plugs a new header gasket kit is included in the purchase. I even made a wrench for getting the rearmost bolts going into the block. TIP: use stainless bolts for the header to block flange, and ALL stainless hardware for the lower header flanges. You can also use the copper anti seize on the lower flange bolts but I do not recommend it on the block bolts unless you have locking bolts because they love to work loose.

13. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    What brand of headers did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edelbrock TES headers....

I can get the socket on the spark plug if I work real hard, but I have no room to move it, so it's basically like, hmmmm, ok! But I will try the wrench thing.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i believe ive got hooker headers, and all i had to do was pull the wires and uses an extensions and im good...

number 8 was hard cause the ac was in the way...but other than that it was easy

15. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 3' extension, u-joint, a 3" extension, and a plug socket, and a crate to stand on. Rear passenger side it the only one I have to put a wrench on.

16. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I had a spark plug socket that was hexagon on the end that I use to change plugs. When I could get the socket on but no rachet or extension into the socket, I used an open end wrench to turn the socket. All spark plugs socket might be made that way and I guess it depends how close the headers hug the block. If all else fells break the ceramic end off of the spark plug so you can use a shorter socket to get it out. But then there is no turning back and you still have to tighten it. Manifolds are good for some things. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I used Hedman hedders also, and I have no problem at all changing my plugs. It just takes a regular spark plug socket and a ratchet with a 3 or 6 inch extension.

18. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A 3' extension, u-joint, a 3" extension, and a plug socket, and a crate to stand on. Rear passenger side it the only one I have to put a wrench on.

[/ QUOTE ]

As said, u-joints and extentions are your friend. Don't work harder than you have to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Steph.
    I have the TES system also. I have never removed the headers to change plugs. I use a combination box end wrench on a couple of the plugs I cant get a socket on. I also customised a spark plug socket by grinding it off so it is as short as possible. It makes changing the plugs a lot easier. Also remove the rubber junk from inside the plug socket it makes it a lot easier to put it on and off. Just be careful not to break a plug.
    If you cant fit a ratchet in the space between the header and plug. Get a spark plug socket with the hex head on the back and use a box end wrench on it.
    The first time I changed the plugs it was a PITA. ButAfter I got things figgured out and some tools modified for the job, it only takes me 1/2 hour or so to change the plugs.
    If ur short. Get a step ladder. It helps a lot.

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats one of the reasons i cant stand having headers! i have dynomax headers..and they are a pain! the spark plugs are ok...there are a few right behind the pipes that make it a pain..but man taking my headers off is a pain in the butt, cuase i got nuts spaced out on a long screw for the power steering bracket to bolt in the header there, so thats a pain..when i did my header gaskets it took me forever to get those d%mn things to line up to! but uhh...they look and sound cool anyway..i was ready to put stock manifolds back on it after doing the plugs and gaskets!