Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jays Beast, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I am curious to what everyone use/likes.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I voted Delco but I also like Champion truck plugs. They ran well in my truck when I had the carb. Now with the FI Delco's seem to be fine. They are cheaper then Champions to which I like. Truck plugs are good too though. #4018's are the ones I ran.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My roommate has had good results with Denso's. He ran Delco's in his truck but they would foul and the Denso's did better for him.

Harley

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have NGK in my Jimmy right now I think... they seen to work

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did a test years ago with a setup like yours (un-scientifically, my ass was my dyno), but between Denso and AC Delco (CR43TS) plugs, I could tell a noticable difference in power with the Delcos. I had run Denso in everything until that point (still do in non-GM applications), but I only run the Delco commercial plugs (the "C" in CR43TS indicates commercial--has a fatter positive electrode) in GM TBI applications since. I also only install commercial Delco plugs in carb'd applications as well (CR45TS for those). They can be hard to find through discount stores, but a real parts store can obtain them.

6. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I dunno about anyone else, but am currently running bosch platinums....thats all i run anymore is platinum plugs and the bosch were on sale. I tested a good 8 diff types of plugs and platinums got the best mileage. (+1-2MPG). The split fires SUCKED, they ate a hole in my wallet and didn't note any change in performance or mileage. Waste of $$ IMO

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i always put delcos in all my trucks, i run ngk in my bikes. i might try ngk in my k20 next time i replace them.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

No scientific data. Just the feel of the truck. I put splitfires in last time. They had come down quite a bit in price to something like 2.99 each. I figured what the hell. Worth a shot. I think I will use them again or maybe try something like the bosch platinum plus 4.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I use AC Delco plugs or Autolite plugs in my chevy motors.I hate champion plugs--I repaired lawnmowers for awhile for spare cash,and I lost count of how many mowers I saved from the landfill that only needed a sparkplug other than the champion one in it,some fresh gas and a few pulls on the rope to get it started again.Champions seem to be better since they went to the "copper plus" design,but in a one cylinder engine I avoid them--if I have no choice I used the J19LM mower sparkplug.Champions seem to go to heaven if you flood them once,they never fire again--an AC or Autolite's will usually recover and fire up again. I dont like platinum plugs much--seen lots of troubles with them at my friends shop,and I never tried "Split Fire" plugs or the "Fire Injectors" J.C. Whitney sells--I think thats a gimmick--. Another reason to love the diesel--no spark plugs!(or carb,wires,distributor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With headers, I've ran the Accel "short" plugs.

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have always had good luck with AC. I used several different types in my 383 when I first built it and the AC's were the only one that wouldnt foul out.

12. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I have been /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif about trying the Bosch +2, figure it couldn't hurt to have a little extra spark. Defiantly like the Bosch +2, 2 ground electrode design better than the split fire 1 ground electrode.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Plain old AC and Autolite are my favorites. I have had nothing but trouble with Bosch platinium plugs in high performance and even mild built motors. I guess they are ok for your grocery getter. But I think they are just a gimmik to part you from your heard earned money.