Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Dec 24, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

whats a decent set of plugs to get?, or what is everyone running for plugs?

its for a carb'd 350 if it matters

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

on my old 350 and on my 496 I run AC-Delco R45TS, on the 350 i ran .035 gaps and on my 496, .065.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Plug Info

I Have Found That It Is Best To Put A/c Delco In Gm ,moto Craft Or Autolight In Ford , And Champion In Mopar . And Most Important The Newer Chevys Vortec Seires Are Vary Picky!!!!

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i dont know what to tell you as far as model numbers go, but use AC Delco.

5. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

A/C Delco for my Vortec.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ac delco.... Im not smarter than GM.... just more adventurous

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

R45TS

CR43TS in the tbi motors

R44TS in a 305

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have had good luck and am now a believer in splitfire plugs. They may not do everything that they claim they do but since the price came down I tried a set and will continue to use them.

Let the bashing begin.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

When I was a kid I had a handmedown Dodge Mitsubishi POS ... one cylinder was fouled, bad, blowing oil like no other ... the Splitfire, at $6 or $8 at the time, was the only plug that would burn through all the oil and crap.

The engine was sick, very sick, but that plug (only bought one! couldn't afford all four! :D ) got me farther along with that car...

Now, that said, I don't think a normal functional engine needs 'em. I'm all over that whole OE thing. (My 300ZX takes NGK platinums from the factory ... :eek1: )

-- A

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea thats what i usualy run is the ac-delco plugs, ive always used the ac-delco products like oil and air filters, plugs and wires

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm a devoted AC Delco and NGK guy... Champions are a horrible plug, living off their name IMHO....

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Plug Info

Had To Many Bad Problems With Bosch Platnium Plugs In American Motors. And When It Comes To The Vortec Motors Thay Make Them Have A Random Skip. Had To Many Customers Come In And Say Did Complete Tune Up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor) Asked What Plugs Thay Said Bosch Platnium. Then I Change Them Out And Put In Ac Delco Back In And Runs Perfect After That. On My Own Vehicle I Hade Good Luck With Splitfire In My 2 Stroke Quadzilla Atv And Tryed Them In My Dd 96 C3500 Crew Cab Vortec And Had A Skip Under Load. Changed Back To Acdelco No More Skip. So That Is Just My Opinon And I Find If Own American Buy American, If Fix Rice Buy Rice , But Dont Mix It's Like Oil And Water Thay Don't Mix!!!!!!

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always run r45tsx delcos, they are extended tips

never had problems with bosch either myself but i run delcos before i run bosch

and NEVER autobites, not in chevies anyways

good luck

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When my 350 was carbed it liked Champion Truck Plugs #4018's. Now that my 350 is fuel injected I run AC Delco's.

Harley

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I use regular old autolites on all my tuneup work, cause I have to put my name on it! thats why!!:D

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Park Slugs

I use Ac Delco plugs as a rule in GM vehicles,or Autolite's--I have had bad luck with Champion plugs in the past,especially before their "copper plus" plugs came out--seems once you flodded a Champion plug,that was it,it would never fire again!--the Ac's and autolite's will come back to life after you "De-Flood" the motor,and they seem to last longer than the Champions--many of the "junk" lawnmowers I rescue from the scrap piles at the dump needed only the champion plug replaced with another brand and some fresh fuel,and a few tugs on the rope to get them running again..when there's only 1 plug,its GOT to be a good one!!....

I dont like platinum plugs at all--I've seen several vehicles run worse with new platinum plugs than the old ones we took out!--several cars at my friends shop have come back skipping with a dead cylinder only weeks after a tune up--the plugs always look clean,and dont appear to be fouled,and will spark if you lay them on the motor and crank it--but put it in the engine,and that cylinder wont fire----the Bosch platinum plugs from autozone seem to be the most often we have problems with--put regular plugs back in,car runs fine again for months with no problems--leads me to beleive they SUCK!:crazy:

Havent had enough money to buy any "Spiltfire" plugs,but I have my doubts if they really are any better than regular plugs--I've seen a brand called "ALDOR" that claims their plugs wont foul even if you are burning LOTS of oil--I have seen them work--they are 7 bucks apeice though--and one long time user of some in an old smoking chevy claimed the piston got a hole burned thru it from that plugs exterme heat range- I tend to stick with factory recomendations on plugs--usually put back what they put in..:crazy:

Where I used to work in a parts store,we had many customers who spoke spanish more than english--one guy came in and asked for "boogies" for his "chebby"--after I searched the english to spanish dictoinary in the front of the fel-pro catolog,I learned "boogies" means "spark plugs" in english--so I looked them up,and sold them to him.As I was ringing up the sale he asked"how do you say??",pointing at the box of spark plugs--my co-worker,ever the wise cracker,told him they were "Park Slugs"--we used to laugh every time him or one of his buddies came in and asked for some!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :haha:

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bosch plugs are garbage. They don't run well in anything in my opinion. I've had to take them back for every brand of vehicle so I will not even sell them anymore.

Dorian,

The spanish word for spark plugs is "bojias" or something like that. Of course it doesn't sound like it's spelled. :D

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Oh ya, My '73 Jeep CJ5 w/304 carbed V8 gets AC Delco's as well.

My roommates 66 Chevy Pickup with 250 I6 motor really like Denso plugs. They work alot better in his motor then the AC Delco's do. They take alot longer to foul then the Delco's in his truck.

Harley