Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ricka, Dec 8, 2001.

1. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Anyone ever seen or done any quantitative spark plug studies
    about which plugs are best?

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can tell you ones I've had problems with lately. Autolites. Out of 8, I had two fail in less than 20 minutes of solely idling time. One it simply failed to fire (something internal) the other was arcing inside the center area. Can't take them back either at least at the local chain store. Delco's or NGK's are the most highly recommended just about everywhere I've seen FWIW.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

No problems with my AC Delcos or the Accels I had before, but if you're looking for something exotic, I can look up a link for some VERY expensive spark plugs that don't have the upper electrode, and instead they just fire hundreds of tiny sparks from the center to the edges.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I have tried a LOT of the <font color=green>expensive gourmet cappuccino</font color=green> plugs in motorcycles, <font color=red>including the Bosch Platinum Quadtips</font color=red>, and all I have found is that staying away from Champion is a good idea. Non-platinum OEM plugs in my K5.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I've run alot of different plugs through bikes, 4X4's, boats, cars, etc. Of them all so far the best have been Bosch Platinums single electrode. The +2, +4 work great for about the first 1-2K miles then turn into regular platinums (for me) performance wise.

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

autolites are made some way by f*rd thats why they fail. Ac delco in a chevy only thing I use R45TS

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Champion Truck Plugs. I have ran them for 4 years now. Me and my Dad like them so well that we have put them in all our vehicles. We have 3 trucks, all 4x4 V-8's with truck plugs, and they run great for me. I run them with both stock ignitions on my Dad's trucks, and a full MSD ignition in my truck. No Problems. Don't know about the other Champions though.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Tons of opinion based on experience. I was hoping someone might of done some quantifiable tests which might shed some light on what is best. Of course best might be best spark, longest lasting, etc., so that would have to be defined.

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630