Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spark plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Jan 15, 2001.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what kind of spark plugs you guys use?? And which ones you thought were the best?? The reason I ask is because I am going to buy a new set of ignition wires and new plugs for my truck and I was going to get the MSD wires and Bosch Platinum 4 plugs. I have bought the Platinum 4 plugs for my other K5 and I liked them but was just wondering what you guys thought.

DOOH!![​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com>http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I run the Bosch Platinums with a set of MSD 8.5 wires. Put them in when I added the MSD 6A ignition system. They seem to work well together but I think someone posted that you shouldn't use the platinum plugs with the MSD ignition systems. Still keeping an eye out for problems but I haven't seen any. I'm not really sure why someone would think they wouldn't work right.

Smitty

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have always used ac delco in all of my cars and trucks.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v had problems with bosh platinum plugs in high performance ignitions. I put a set in an engine I built with mallory high fire ign, promaster coil ,and unilite dist. After a few thousand miles it started missing. I pulled the plugs and the platinum electrode in the center was melted away and the insulation was cracked. I'v never been to impressed with platimum plugs and dont think they are worth the money. They seem to work ok in stock applications but I perferr a more heavy duty plug for high performance. I like NGK, Accell, Or good old AC Delco. Also some firends are running those Champion truck plugs and they like them.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

AC Delco just as good as the rest if not better in some cases and a hell of alot cheaper...

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've usually run the platinum plugs in stock setups, never had a problem. I'll keep an eye on them for any type of abnormal wear. Not too sure what most people are paying for the other plugs but I pick up the Bosch Platinums for around $1 each, never really viewed that as overly expensive considering the cost of the other goodies on this beast.

Smitty

7. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I heard from one of my truckin' buddies that the Chevy small blocks like the AC delco plugs. He said he ran splitfires in a Monte Carlo he tuned a bit. However, it didn't like them for some reason. Ran like crap. If you wanna go to some fancy plug, just remember that most ignitions are made to use a reg. plug, unless otherwise stated. Just my .02
    [​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Don't confuse the Bosch Platinums with the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. The "Platinums" are a conventional style spark plug with one platinum tip. The "Platinum +4"'s have four platinum-tipped ground electrodes surrounding the center electrode so that 4 sparks are created radially out from the center electrode. A convential plug fires one spark axially from the center electrode. The direction is different by nearly 90 degrees. There is no chance of confusing the prices, though!

I run the + 4's and they are great, but they seem to like a hotter coil, probably because each of the 4 sparks is weaker than the 1 single spark would be. One cool thing about these plugs that could probably be taken advantage of is that it doesn't extend as far into the conbustion chamber, so they might be more compatible with shaved heads or a slightly higher piston than a regular plug would be. Who knows.

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>

9. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

Hey Smitty. Question for you. I bought a MSD 6a box at a swap meet here in Texas.
    My question is this, did you have to regap your plugs (wider). I was told by someone who
    has a Jacob ignition that you have to set the gaps wider.. I didnt get a manual for the
    install so I dont have the tech info... Thanks in advance...

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

AC Delco... "If you're not asking for it, you're asking for it."
    Some people like the performance stuff trying to squeeze out that extra power, but I like my stock setup. Sure it may not be the fastest compared the other guys but it never lets me down.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

AC Delco. In all my personnel vehicles. I had a set of bocsh plat. In my company truck. They did last 54,000 miles The only reason I knew I had to change them was my boss came up to me and said my gas milage was going down. I just replaced those with ac delco. I don't think they will last 54,000 miles. But I guess my gas milage had been going down for a while......

Become one with nature...............Then marinate it..

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

AC Delco Rapid Fire #5

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Redbeast---Nothing says you have to widen the gap on the plugs but the MSD paperwork says you might get more out of the system if you do. When I get some time(as if that will happen!) I'll start opening the gap a little at a time. I figure each engine will work better at a different gap so it'll be trial and error. You can go to the MSD web page and download the instructions for the box and all the info is in there.

Smitty

14. northgate

northgate Registered Member

AC Delco or the Champion truck plugs are the way to go. Don't mess around with any of these gimicky splitfires or multiple ground electrode plugs. Electricity always takes the shortest path to ground and you will not get simultaneous sparks no matter what. The spark will simply go to the ground electrode that is closest or has the least amount of resistance to the center electrode. Also, the wider the gap you use, the higher the voltage you will get, but your firing time is shortened. And vice versa - the smaller the gap, you'll have lower voltage but a longer firing time. Higher voltages stress the coil and wires more, but you get the benefit of higher voltage. Lower voltage helps ignition parts last longer but you may not get a complete burn. Start out at about .045 and occasionally read your plugs and make adjustments from there.