Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spark plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4whler, Jan 4, 2004.

1. 4whler

4whler Registered Member

Just got back from parts store with plugs and wires and they gave me r43ts,always used 45ts. Are these ok with a 350 and holley pro inj. Did a search all I can find is the gap.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I you have always used something else and they work fine, go back and trade them....

Learn how to read the plugs, and adjust the heat range a bit if necessary....

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The number in the AC plug designation is the heat range. An R43TS is a colder plug than a R45TS. Do as SUBFAN suggested and learn how to read the plugs. If the engine is stock, then use the factory recommended plug and go from there.

FYI....here is a definition of Heat Range

"Heat range refers to the spark plug's ability to transfer heat from the tip of the insulator into the cylinder head. In order for a spark plug to perform satisfactorily for more than a few miles, it must be of the proper heat range. If a plug is too hot, it will cause pre-ignition, and can burn the center electrode completely away. If a plug is too cold, it will have a tendancy to foul and misfire, reducing horsepower" (Small Block Chevy Performance)

My old 350 liked R43TS's but my 388 with the same heads, likes the R44TS's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i had to run r46ts in my old engine because# 8 oil fouled so bad.and i would still have to swap it with the #1 cylinder every four months. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 4whler

4whler Registered Member

Thanks for the FYI learn something new every year.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, to be nitpicky, the last numner is the heat range, the first number is thread size. (4=14MM)

But for the heads we deal with typically, the 4 is a constant anyways.

(R=Resistor, 4=thread size, 5=heat range, T=tapered seat, S=Extended Tip)