Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sparkin Plug Debate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

After the overwhelming ass-kickin I took on Bosch spark plugs I hauled by bruised carcass out this morning and picked up AC Delcos. There are too many people here running AC's with good results that can't be ignored. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! That's right brothers - I have come to CK5 Jesus, Hellalujah.

If anyone else is running an MSD ignition, what are you gapping the AC Delco sparkin plugs at on a 350 cheby? Looks like the recommendation is .050 or 5 over the stock .045. Anyone running wider than that? Your fellow heathen is all ears and salt packed scars.

SMITE ME - OH MIGHTY SMITERS

:ears:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've always run .050 with my MSD stuff my 454, works real good and keeps the plugs clean.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The best application i have found for Bosch Platinums is Fishing weights. I like to use old crappy plugs for Ocean fishing. They cast well and carry a good distance. they are heavy enough to keep your bait down in a small current. If you get snagged loosing one is no big deal.

Oh. I run .050 in my AC delcos too. 350 cid dont have MSD I have DUI.

4. chevyjsport

chevyjsport Newbie

my bosch work awesome with my msd

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I ran MSD ignition I ran Champion Truck Plugs gapped to .057. With Delco's I would run .055.

Harley

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM ran .080" gap on the same ignition stuff that they ran at .035", and it works the same either way.

I tried them gapped .035" vs .060", and there was no difference in mileage or (perceived) performance at the two extremes.

In other words, you won't notice any difference. Stock HEI alone will jump any gap you are going to run in a street engine, so just go with what is recommended, or play around on your own.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I run .065 on my 496 w/ my MSD on AC-Delco R45TS

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

amen brother you have hit rock bottom and come out

like thay say drive american buy american drive jap or euro be ready to be cruched by american v-8 . as tim alen would say ug ug ug

9. chevyjsport

chevyjsport Newbie

yep

i run at 45 never had any problems no need in playin with fire you could possible get burned

10. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

MSD recommends between 35 and 65 I've been playing around with gap on my camaro and 45-50 seems ok sofar

11. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

I'm running a MSD dist., coil and 6A with Accel wires and gapped mine at .60 with no problems..

12. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

From my experience Bosch plugs used to run well in GMs, however they are total junk now, ACDelcos or NGKs seem to work well in GM vehicles.

13. chevyjsport

chevyjsport Newbie

hmmm

i guess it all just depends im runnin a 6al with 8.5 mm wires and blaster coil on those bosch gapped at 45 and they run great pull em out and clean as can be

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I think the jist of the whole thing was performance over time. The main issue as outlined by Tim amongst others was the return rate and dissatisfaction with the plug over a few weeks to a few months. I know I was having a harder time finding the Bosch and it makes sense that parts stores would quit selling them if the product quality was declining.

I have swapped out to Delcos and do not see any short term performance improvement but the test will be over the next several months. You certainly have to take into account the overwhelming response to the question. When 98% say Delco and 2% say Bosch or Splitfire there is an obvious trend there. Certainly one worth exploring further.

It could very well be that the MSD is covering up a problem that would occur with a regular HEI - I don't know and that is pure speculation.

If you like Bosch stick with it. There are times when you have to go with your own feeling over those of the majority. I simply wanted to put it to the test and am doing so. We'll see what happens in the next 6 months.

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Son of a B%6#&. I knew it. We have a 94' vette, and recently replaced the stock AC Delcos with plat 2's, and I noticed a hefty loss in performance, but a friend said it was due to mistimings? I though no.... I was right.