Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sparks flying!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHINTON, Oct 4, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I am feeling very MANLY today, Dad and I started working on the semi-restoration of Big Orange last night. My dad did body & fender work (fixed crashed cars) for about 20 years, back when my 72 Jimmy was new. I am trying to learn as much as possible so I can keep Big Orange in shape and have an interesting hobby.

He had already removed most of the chrome/trim side pieces but had left a few for me to show me how to take them off. We had a couple we had to grind off, major sparks!!! Next up was to grind away the paint, etc around the holes we are gonna fill in and the places we are gonna cut out the cancer(rust.) Dad has a big honkin electric grinder, I dont know the grit of the pad that was on it but he ground off around the holes on the drivers side and I did the passengers.

Nothing quite like holding a 20lb+ grinder in your hands, sparks flying everywhere, taking the paint down to bare metal, about an 3"x3" area around each hole. I told Dad I wish I had the digital camera to take a picture!

Final step last night was the air chisel. This is a mean little tool, he uses it to cut around the cancer to remove the pieces we are gonna replace with fresh metal. Essentially it looks like a chisel, with a hook hanging down and that hook slices thru the metal in about a .10 inch wide strip. We cut out a good 4-5" chunk of rust that was hiding under the trim pieces (which are notorious for keeping crap in them and causing rust.) The rockers are actually in ok conditions with a few small holes we are gonna fix. Last time Dad worked on Big Orange we replaced the whole rockers, that was about 8 years ago.

That was it for last night, next week...cutting pieces back to fit and Sam learns how to weld with acetylene!! I will try to get my camera over there and take pictures, it does break my heart some to see big ole holes cut in the sheet metal but I know what the end product will be... I need to go by the scrap metal place. (Can you say custom rocker rails!!!)

Sam..."Sparky"....Hinton /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Post some pics somewhere, keep up the good fight ( fixin old trucks) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Big Orange, huh? You're working on my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

YA Baby! YA!