Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spcer plate for low gears in a hi gear carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I've heard that you can get a spacer plate (or something) that will allow you to run 4.10 gears and below on a 3.73 carrier. Anybody know anything about this? Are they strong/reliable and all that?
    ALSO
    What do you guys think I could get for used 10 bolt 4.10 gears, carrier, R&P and Lock-rite? Will that set up fit in a rear 10 bolt? Will the locker fit in a rear?

Just full of questions...aren't I? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What diff? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Check on the tech page at www.randysringandpinion.com for a good explanation on why spacers are a bad idea on ring gears. Using thick gears that are made to fit the wrong carrier is a better idea.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

dunno about 10B but a new carried for a D60 is about $58. If your regearing why skimp and put all that work and $$$ at risk?

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

For a 10 bolt anything numerically lower than 2.73 needs a new carier. I dont think a single k5 came with 2.56s

Dan

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I would just call Randy's R&P and ask. Your can run 3.73 and higher (numerically lower) gears on your carrier and 4.10 and lower on the other carrier. You can get thick gears and run 4.10s with your carrier they are only a couple of bucks more than standard gears. Thick gears do not suffer from the same problems as spacers but you might have to grind a little off of the cross shaft in the rear to get it to work. I think there is some information on Randy's website.
    I guess the bottom line is if your want to ever go lower than 4.10s get a new carrier, but if 4.10s are all you will ever need then just go with the thick gears.
    (this assumes you have the high gear carrier)
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What diff? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Check on the tech page at www.randysringandpinion.com for a good explanation on why spacers are a bad idea on ring gears. Using thick gears that are made to fit the wrong carrier is a better idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, like what he said!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a spacer in my D60 for about 6 years without any problems. Way back I picked up a 3.73 Trac Lock so I need a spacer to run my 5.13's. I may not be as hard on my truck as some are but I never cut it any slack because of the spacer.

While it's certainly not the best way to put an axle together, I never had any problems with mine. I will be using it again when I move these gears into my crew cab.