Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker/Amp Wiring

Discussion in 'Audio' started by istallion88k5, Jul 30, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes, I have been doing car stereo's for awhile but the guy who owned his own shop and tought me most of what I know always told me to wire subs in series not parrallel that they lasted longer and put less of a strain on the amp and hit harder. Now I have been reading that when you bridge an amp down to mono you should do it in parrallel, which way is better for harder hitting and better sound, right now I have my amp bridged down and my 2 rf 12" in series in a bandpass box?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That guy sounds like he has it half right. Wiring your subs in series WILL make it easier for the amp, but it WILL NOT make it hit harder. It will be quieter.
    There is not one answer for everybody. It depends on what kind of amp you have, if its 2 ohm stable in stereo, if its 2 ohm stable in mono and what the impedence of your subs is. 4 ohm or 8 ohm. Tell me more about your amp and subs and then I can help.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

The amp right now is a sony 404eqx, its a 4 channel amp with eq built on it. My intention with this amp is to use it on my 6x9's in the back and a pair of 5" in the front and when I get the money I am going to get a hifonics amp to drive the subs, but for now I have the front part of the amp bridged with my 2 subs on it, and the rear part driving my 6x9's.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!