Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker box idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Sep 12, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have 3 fosgate p2 12's that I want to build a new box for. I was thinking build a box that rests on the fenderwells and have the subs pointing up. The box would be 62 inches long 10 inches tall and 14 inches wide. The box would be bolted down with bolts through the fenderwells.

What do yall think of this idea?

2. turbofire

turbofire Registered Member

well it depends on the sq feet u need for each speaker. The best way to make a seal box for them. Use fiber glass on the bolts to seal it up good. any questions email me at greg_havens@yahoo.com

3. hunterguy86

I called and discussed sq ft requirments with rockford fosgate. The box should be 3.72 cubic feet if I got it figured right. The tech guys said that it should be good. My concern is if it will be ok if I bolt it down to the fenderwells. I figure with the box sitting on the fenders, it will give me more space to store some of my stuff.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Heres how I had mine, It was molded around the fenderwell and held 1 10" sub.
    [​IMG]

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got two of those same RF's , in a sealed box of proper size per sub . I get the best sound so far top on , behind the backseat , firing forward .

Sounded good before sitting on the backseat temporarily , but that wasn't practical . Just moved it around a bit until I got the best sound .

Believe it or not I got my box of spares , a 35 inch spare on the 31 inch tire mount AIRED UP , spare axles and driveshafts for every position , all behind the backseat WITH THE SPEAKER BOX .............. with room for a grocery bag or two on the side :pimp:

6. hunterguy86

Got any pics of how it all fits?

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ill have to see if I can dig up pics of the way I did mine, I went with 10 inch subs because 12's required 1.5 cubic feet and I could only get exactly 1 cubic foot out of my area where I mounted them. I built the boxes and bolted them to the fenderwells, came out really nice.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok I cant find pics readily available but I will snap some when I get home today.

9. pauly383

OK . I Plan on making a box from side to side eventually for everything and the spare on top . But this works for now .

Behind seat , 2 10 inch subs . Behind that plastic tote with spares and fluids and recovery gear . Left side 35 inch spare , angled , pushing on seat back , held on with factory washer and nut bar , not centered , just forward . Behind tire is everyshaft I ever need .

I don't walk home anymore :pimp:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  10. hunterguy86

You got quite a bit of stuff back there man.

I think this idea of mine will work. Tomorrow I'm going to build the box. If I dont like it I'm only out 20 bucks for wood.

Pics to come.

11. pauly383

You should see me camping out of this thing , I always find a place to put it :wink1:

12. hunterguy86

Right now I have a speaker box for 3 12's, a tool box, 2 smaller boxes for misc junk, my dewalt drill, 2 jack stands, a creeper, 2 floor jacks and an icechest. I also have a bunch of spare fluids and stuff like that. The back is completely full. This is why I want to make a smaller box and put it on the fenderwells. This way I can store stuff under the box so I have room for a spare tire.

13. pauly383

Another thought is a downfiring box in the footwell in the backseat . **** the passengers :thumb:

14. hunterguy86

Thats not a bad idea. :thinking: I've also thought about going ported on the box. 3 12's and 1000 watts tuned at 37 hz would be pretty loud.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is the wrong forum, but I know what you mean; there isn't much traffic in the Audio forum.

What about removing the side panels and building boxes to fit in that space? It will be a tougher build, but will save you several inches of storage space on each side. I did this by basically building MDF side panels and it really isn't enough cabinet volume. It should be done by having the outside of your box a few inches further out than the factory side panels sit.

It's a more challenging build, but it could come out really clean and gives you lots of options. Plus, you can mount your crossovers, amps, filters, etc back there out of sight.

16. hunterguy86

I had thought about making side panels but I have 3 subs so it would make it out of balance to have 1 on 1 side and 2 on the other. Maybe I should get a 4th sub:thinking:

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I mounted 2 12" subs in the floor of my burb