Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaker boxes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mr77k557, Jan 11, 2003.

1. mr77k557

mr77k557 Registered Member

stueben , new york (central new york in hicksville
    <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="#666666"> </font color> Can anybody suggest what type of boxes to run in a blaxer. I mean there is plenty of room but i need somthing that will sound good and cover up the loud exaust and tires.
    Should i use a sealed or ported box and or would a be better off building a custom box like greg72. im going to decide on what type of box befor i buy subs so i can properly match the subs to the boxes. I would apperciate an info you could give along with any tips or tricks you would like to share. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="red"> </font color>

2. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

Well, I dont have a preference on speaker box brands; however, I would definately buy a sealed box. Having the box sealed gives you better sounding, tighter bass while the ported boxes will give you more 'out of control' bass. The tight bass from a sealed box sounds much better than bass from a ported box. I wouldnt really worry too much about the brand, I would go pick some up at somewhere like tweeter or 'Freeman's Car Stereo' if they are in your area. Even though these stores are expensive, they will provide you with quality. You could buy a cheap box and line all the joints on the inside with a strip of silicone and sort of work it into the joint with your finger. That would probably be the cheapest option. Anyways, I hope that helps.

3. Super Chevy

Super Chevy Registered Member

My preference is a sealed box, much tighter bass and more low feg. ; i found that a sealed box is good for noise and distortion . I run two MTX 12's in a Q-logic Sealed hatchback box. sounds great, also the box is a very well manufactured piece /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree a sealed box will give you tighter bass, but a ported box will be louder on the same amp usely. I personally like a ported box. I like the sound I get with it.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rick,

The only "out of control" bass in a ported box would be the frequencies trying to play BELOW the tuning freqency of the box! Below that point, there in not adequate damping to control speaker movement. It would make sense to filter those frequencies out....It makes things a lot easier on the speaker too.

I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement that sealed boxes are 'tight' and ported boxes are 'sloppy'....as you started to indicate, the design and construction of the box (as well as crossover points and proper amplifier power) will make or break the sound.

I can build a quality ported box that will be 'tight'... actually I already did! (see the Member Gallery)

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm still in awe of the system in your truck! That night you played it for me in Moab just blew my mind. That thing ROCKS! Incredibly pure, clean sound! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Greg72

(blush) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks...I really get a kick out of people's reaction to it. Most have never seen or heard a sound system that far "off the deep end" before..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Indeed! That system is worth more than my whole truck! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. VA-NC-SC

im sorry i was just trying to help someone out, I just dont like ported boxes because generally, unless you build them yourself (and you know what you are doing!) or unless you spend a lot of money, they just dont have the tight bass that most audiophiles look for. I was thinking along the lines of saving money for someone who couldnt build it themselves but also wanted good sound at a good price. I didn't mean to make a statement that wasnt entirely true, and "out of control" was the only word I could think of, sloppy is a better word for most cheap ported boxes, in my mind.

10. Greg72

Rick,

I'd certainly agree that for an inexperienced builder....it's less risky designing and building a sealed enclosure. It's certainly more "tolerant" of small errors in contruction size, etc.

Ported boxes are a lot more work and less "forgiving" of errors.....

I think we are in agreement, just saying what me mean in different ways.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. VA-NC-SC

sounds good to me :-) I havent gotten into building boxes too much, I mostly deal with installing components that are already built :-), especially CB :-) If anybody has ne CB questions just ask in the communications forum I can usually help ;-)

12. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i personally would go with a ported "vented" box, i have 2 15's in about 4.5 cubes pr sub.. when your doin vented just make sure you measure your vehicles resonant frequency and tune the box right.. no one will want to ride with you without using ear plugs..

13. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

where can I see pics of side sub boxes. I want to build side enclosure and need some ideas.

14. Greg72

Click on the link in my .sig

You'll need to be a paying member to look at the fullsize pics, but you might get some idea from the thumbnails.....