Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaker help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djkawash, May 4, 2007.

1. djkawash

djkawash Registered Member

does anybody know who makes a speaker for the opening in the middle of the dashboard. I only have the 3.5" speakers on the left and right sides of the dash board. There is a speaker in the LMC Truck catalog (38-8517) but I want something that can handle more power. I would take off the dash but I have done it before and it is just too much work. Just wanted to see if any of you would know so that I wouldn't have to take it off. I have an 86 k5.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I cut the openings square in my dash , and have a dashmat . Speakers can come in and out at will :thumb:

Once ya get it down though , you can remove the dashpad pretty easy without removing the whole cluster and everything . Just the screws that go into it . The dashpad tilts up and towards you . The only hassle is getting the a/c hose thingy back on .

Still ended up cutting my dashpad . I was going to make it look nice too , but I wheel the truck too much to do anything except cover with a pad . Next Blazer gets the holes cut , and edges cleaned , and nice pieces of felt glued over the holes .

You kinda have to use nice 3.5's , the tweeters interfere with the metal strength rod in the dashmat across the speaker opening .

3. djkawash

djkawash Registered Member

thanks but Im just trying to figure out what size speaker it is so I can put one in and wire it up. Trying not to cut up anything if i dont need to. Semi-restoration.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

the one in the middle is a 4x10, and i know Kenwood makes them,,,or used to anyways.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

But to use just one , its need to be a mono radio , or a set of speakers on a common bracket , or a single speaker with dual voice coils .

LMC does stock both ( or they did ) a single dual voice coil 4x10 , or two small speakers on a single bracket to fit that spot .

If he doesn't want a bunch of work , spend a bunch of money and do the kickpanels .

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

it is a 4x10, everyone makes them look up Crutchfield.com. you'll see what you're lookin for. it uses just a regular radio, but you will have to have the power to push it. i had an Eclipse i was very proud of. had being as how i didn't have it long before it blew, but for most sane people that would be fine

7. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I looked into all sorts of options because I wanted to feed the speakers more power as well as get higher quality sound. If you want a decent sound system, your only options are kickpanels or to make new lower door panels to mount 6-1/2" speakers in (this is what I did and it wasn't too hard).

-Wes

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

you don't absolutely HAVE to do the door kick panel thing, even just going with a higher quality and alittle more power 3.5 in the corners of the dash, where there should also be mounts available will give you a TON better sound quality.

I went this route when i had the system installed in my brub because i wanted as much as possible to stay hidden..

Kicker 3.5's in the dash corners and redone rear side panels with Kicker 6x9's instead of the stock 4x10's made a world of difference in the sound quality.

then of course i went overboard with the two 15" Kicker CompVR's:doah:

9. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

yep just the 3 1/2's and the 4x10 in the middle made a world of difference. but i also had eclipse and i paid for em. they are soon to be replaced and i'm going all Infinity. already have the subs just lookin into gettin me a component system

10. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

In my little Blazer the front corner speakers and 6x9 in the rear,sounds pretty damn good.