Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm down to 2.5 speakers (way back, back pass side, and back driver fades in and out) so I went to Radio Shack and picked up some replacements... I took out the ones in the doors that never worked and put in the Radio Shack ones.. on the passenger side, the copper(?) wire inside one of the connectors doesn't even come close to touching the metal thing on the speaker, and the driver's one looks fine but still no sound... The back ones work without any problems... Any ideas???

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Get some 16ga or 14ga wire and run new leads into the doors. Before you get too far, check the speakers against the rear wiring. The way it sounds is one of the front leads is sholrting to ground somewhere. I say just save the headache of trying to chase it, and run all new. Unless you are running high power, the 16/14ga is overkill as far as the conductor itself goes, but it brings with it much heavier insulation, and won't be as likely to rub through. Normally when I run wiring into doors, I favor 14ga lamp cord. Cheaper than speaker specific wire, and much tougher.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>