Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker Kickpanels...take two of these and call me in the morning!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I've been making a set of kickpanels(speaker) for my 69 k5 and posting at the other truck site. Here is the link if interested.
    Click here to see

I started making my new speaker kickpanels as
    mentioned on other post here in past. I bought one panel board at hardware store for about $5.00. Also bought a gallon of fiberglass resin for about $30, but you could get buy with a much smaller amount:crazy:

1) Pic shows the panel cut, with raised "o" for speak, angled with various post length.
    [​IMG]
    Old T-shirt does the job..ruined with work on truck:lol:
    [​IMG]

2) In first pic, the "O" is already glued to t-shirt. Now to glue the shirt to frame of kickpanel. Buy a cheap $4.99 glue gun at HF..easy and cheap.
    [​IMG]
    Starting the glueing process. Work around, making sure it is smooth and tight(:lol::rolleyes: )Glue points at a time, not with a constant bead, that way you can adjust and take your time.
    [​IMG]
    All done with Glue! Notice that I brought done the section that will have the vent lever secured to it so that there is no interference. You can see the glue line that makes this happen.
    [​IMG]

Each day this week, I'll be adding to post as I progress. Goal is to finish for a Saturday installation!

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

2nd Part

3) (the next pics are of the drivers side. I set the speaker lower to allow room for ebrake, vent lever and highbeam switch. )
    Now, for a coat of resin. Based on my readings, i need one coat of pure resin, then two coats of resin with fiberglass mat cloth. This is just with the first coat of resin.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the crease on back side of enclosure. This is the slack t-shirt that I folded and set. Its hard now and nothing a little bondo won't cover, and its on the back side out of sight!
    [​IMG]
    Notice that I resined all the way over the ring to ensure good seal. I did this based on posted directions that I've read
    [​IMG]

MORE TO COME TOMORROW

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, Tuesday evening process. This took me about 20 minutes to do, both passenger and driver side.

This is the passenger side. I gave it a first coat of resin only.
    [​IMG]

Next is the driver side. This is the second coat and I used small pieces(4" by 6" or so) of fiberglass mat cloth. I just laid it down where I wanted it and with a paintbrush, thoroughly covered with resin until cloth was completely wet.
    [​IMG]

This pic is with both driver and passenger kick panels. The angles are the same, but the driver side is set lower to accomodate the ebrake. The driver side now has the two coats, one resin(let dry) then resin and fiberglass mat. The passenger side has one coat of resin and is wet.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow night, I'll throw a third coat on the driver side, and a second on the
    passenger side. I should be ready to cover by Friday with material of choice. I have not decided on carpet or black vinyl.....:blah:

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, as mentioned..i put the first mat/resin coat on the passenger side, and a second mat/resin coat on the drivers side. With the fibermat, the enclosure is VERY strong and solid.
    So I set out in sun and dried pretty quick, at least enough to test fit:)

Driver side with the soon to be speaker
    [​IMG]
    Now, in the truck, pedal and vent lever clear nicely:ww:
    [​IMG]
    A different perpective with my shoes:lol:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side with speaker(test fit)
    [​IMG]

In truck...why is you head turned sideways?:lol:
    [​IMG]

One thing, they are not fully set in place, so nevermind the if they look off on edges, I just placed them easy for now. I am going to install them with some silicone glue once ready

Tomorrow, final coats in early morning,sun, cloth/cover late in day

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks really good, jus be careful when u put the e-brake on

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

they'd be tore up real quick in my truck,,not a big fan of that setup, but looks like you did a pretty good job at it :wink1:

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

there strong enough to stand on once complete...well not the speakers :haha:

8. cutlasskid86

cutlasskid86 Registered Member

Good job. I've been wanting to try my hand at that stuff.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you want to make some 2nd gen ones , I can send ya some kick panels :wink1:

You may have a way to make a few bucks , and I betcha they would be stronger than store bought ones :D

10. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

they look excellent, great work

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was always worried about clutch to speaker clearance with those(though ebrake still looks like a pain) doesn't look bad at all though.

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

The ebrake clears easily with foot angled just bit. Clutch is not a factor at all. The driver side is set lower to ensure clearance.

13. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

T-Shirt? I had no idea you could even do that. Your project is giving me some ideas of my own. Looks good.

14. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Did you just paint the resin on over the shirt??

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THat looks good. It also looks fairly easy - I never knew that you could just use a t-shirt. Thanks for the write up.

16. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Yes, the first coat of resin is just resin(no cloth fibermat) painted with a cheap paint brush over the t-shirt. The t-shirt soaks it up and becomes one with it once it dries. The second and third coat use the cloth fibermat, just cut into small sguares or rectangles..super easy. First time doing this..no problems. I just bought some black carpet to glue over, once i sand it smoother(just a bit).

17. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Dude, that is pretty damn cool. As Chevy Chase said in Caddyshack: "See your future, be your future, may...may...MAKE your future.

Great work.

18. 72 SAC

72 SAC Registered Member

Well I’m going to jump on the wagon, and make a pair. Great winter project, they look sweeeeeaaat. :bow:

19. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

stretching vinyl over this style of speaker enclosure makes for a cleaner final covering that carpet. Or bondo them up 'til they baby butt smooth and paint 'em to match your rig.

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wheres all the pics? I saw this post before, but there not here now