Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker mounting???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DesertDueler, Sep 16, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I had to pull out my competition stereo since I rolled my Jimmy. It doesnt have the fiberglass top anymore, no doors, and a plextglass windshield(leaks water baddly). My question is where should I mount speakers and amps so they wont get stolen easily, and where if it start to rain that they wont get destroyed. I dont really have to worry about the rain a whole lot in AZ, but it would be real easy to steal the stuff if I put them where I use to have them. I had two amps under the seats, two amps on the wheel wells, four tweeters across the dash, 6x9s cut out on the panels under the ashtrays in the back seat area, two 12s in a bandpass box, two 8s in truck boxes, and two 5 1/2s in the back where the factory 4x10s were. I would like to keep at least one amp, the 6x9s, the 5 1/2s, and the 8s. I will need it since it is loud when you drive it down the freway. Any ideas is greatly apriciated.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

How big are the amps (size wise),what about removing the glove box and installing the amps behind the door...or getting a Tuff center concell and running some fans to cool the amps.also can add some hose from the A/C to the box and cool things.....
    .Install the tweeters in A/C ducks... buy Marine style speakers that can get wet.....Install speakers in the kick panels.....

Make a hard tonnuee cover over the rear half of the bed area down firer the subs......or get a soft tonnue to cover the rear half of the bed to keep things dry......

If you need any help let me know and we'll try to get it done

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

3. DesertDueler

The amps are too big to fit in the glove box. one of them just barely fits under the set, while one fits under there pretty easy. If I cant figure it out soon I will let you know and see if yo can head out this way. I would like to met another K5 member.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Someone on here made a box under their center console. You could put one under your seat and one under the center console......Whaat brand are you running?

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

5. DesertDueler

I have a rockford 2 channel 150 watt amp for the 8s, an off brand 4 channel thats 50x4 for the 6x9s and the 5 1/4", and a keenwood 2 channel 600 watt amp for the 12s. The 12s are going in the burb though. I mounted the 5 1/4" speakers in between the seat and the center console. They are out of site and point straight up so you can hear them.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Have you considered mounting behind the side panels? I built custom side panels and mounted the amps behind the seats on either side, one for the sub and one for my 6x9's and the dash speakers. If you are wondering about heat, I live in TX and have been running them for two summers without any problems. They are mounted up high enough on the inside that water or rain would not be a problem. My sub is built into the rear side panels, the 6x9's are about where the ashtrays were. Unless you heard it, you would never know I have the sub and amps.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."