Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaker options fer my sub

Discussion in 'Audio' started by muddysub, Feb 24, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm tired of having a nice cd player and terrible speakers!! i want new ones. i have the stock 3.5"s in the dash and 4x10"s in the back and was wondering it i could go any bigger or better with out spending insane amounts of money. (i know guy who is an alpine dealer and he installs stuff for free for friends so this shouldn't be too hard) so would it be possible to put 6x9s in that back where the 4x10s are now? and can i put anything else in the dash? or is 3.5" about it? and i was also thinkin ... 4 speakers is not enough for a truck this big. would it be possible to install some like 6.5"s in the rear doors?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm sure it's more then possible to add more speakers. How ment amps you want ???

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I've got 6.5" components next to the back seat. If you wanna hack at your dash with a sawsall for a while, you can fit a couple 4" speakers on top of the dash where the 3.5's go. The driver side one doesn't fit very well, but they still sound way better than the 3.5's.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jeez....all along, I just assumed "MuddySub" meant that you already HAD a great stereo!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. muddysub

no sub as in suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i don't know about amps haven't thought of it.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

scott-
    On mine I plan to run 2 subs in the rear behind the 2nd seat. and then build kick panels for my clarion seperates. I'll also build door pods to put my other set in the passenger rear side doors. I just need AMPs now since they were stolen out of me jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

-Jeremy
    "DEEZEL /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif"

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I took out my 4 x10s and put Boss 6x9s in the back.(Blazer) I just made the holes bigger and used the same screw clips to hold them in.
    But you can buy some pretty good 4x10s that work just as good and bolt right in. Pioneer, Jenson, Boss, and many others all make good ones. Cost starts around 20.00 and up
    The only reason I went with the 6x9s is I got them for Free.
    In the dash I just bought a good set of Jenson spakers that fit the holes.
    It made the stock stereo sound a lot better. The orginal equipment speakers are junk.
    Now I'm ditching the old stock unit and getting a Boss 200 watt in dash CD/reciever. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Greg72

Scott,

The problem is that you want the BIG sound up front....swapping out rear 4x10's will only pull more sound behind you, same with putting larger speakers in the rear doors.

The dash speakers are small and useless for BIG sound. The challenge is to find a place for a nice 6.5" Coaxial or component set up front somewhere (kickpanels or doors)....then add subwoofers and rear fill....amps are always nice to have too.

I've kind of outlined basic strategies for building sound systems on this forum before....you might find more specifics by searching for my name on other posts here. If you have more specific ?'s, just let me know.

ps. BozoWise seems to have good deals on equipment and takes care of CK5 folks....so you might want to do some comparison shopping with him too.

9. muddysub

cool thanks guys! greg you have a good point there, i'll start looking at some like 6.5" coaxials to maybe put in the kick panels.

ooohh would it be possible to mount some little tweeters on the sides of my overhead console? they would be right at head level or would that mounting position really make them over power everything else?

10. Greg72

Tweeters up high would be weird.....especially when sounds (like vocals) get crossed-over from the mid to the tweet.

The singer would appear to be singing at "dash level", but then when they hit the high notes....they will suddenly we singing over the roof of your truck!!! It would definitely smear the sound.

As a general rule, it's better to keep the mids and tweets as close to each other as possible. Subs are the exception, since they can go basically anywhere and still blend sonically with the rest of the speakers.

11. muddysub

i was thinking that thanks for yur help man!

12. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

In my Jimmy, I took out the rear panels and made speakerbox panels with a 10" sub and 6 1/2" component sets in each one. Then I built 2 speaker pods into both doors. The lower pod houses a 6 1/2" three way speaker and the upper pod houses a 5 1/4" component set. The sound is great.....