Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker Placement?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by KrebsATM02, Jun 17, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Now that the lift and tires are on, I need to put my system into it.... I have a 88 K-5 and need input on where to put subs etc... I have 2 12" Rockford XLC's and i know where you point them and there position in the car has an effect on there sound. I want to fire them forward so they don't get hit by crap in the back and i want to keep the amps out of the way too. I was thinking about putting them on the side's???? Anyone do this???? I dont' like the stock rear speaker location so i was thinking about putting them in boxes on top of the wheel wells pointed forward slightly. As far as the front i already have components but not sure where to put them. I made custom brackets that came of where the misor mounts in another car and it sounded and looked good, so i think i might do that for the tweeters. I don't know where to put the 5.25's. In the dash where the stock speakers are?? Door panels?? I am putting my head unit and eq in a custom center console. How about alarms? what do ya'll like? thanks - Doug

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Here is what I havegoing on in my 89.......
    I am building a box for 4 10" Rockford HX2 dvc's that will fit behind my drivers seat and the "bed" of my Blazer. I will be firing them down so that they will have a load on them and alsothey will be protected from the elements, considering the top and the doors are usually not on my daily driven truck, so there will be water involved. I pulled my center console and am going to rebuild a new one and flush my Rockford BD1000a1 in one side and my power 800a4 in the other. they will basically be facing the inside of front seats. Thye will then be unbder the cab and out of most of the weather. I removed my center Ac vent and flushed in my head unit. It was a Kenwood kdc-9011 mask unit but I put that in my wifes truck and have notyet decided what to put in it this go around. As far as speakers go, I will mor that likely just be using three pairs of the Alpin marine coax 6" speakers i think the model is STM-6666. I have a pair of Qforms in the front kicks and will be building enclosers for the rear speakers. I already have 2 yellow top optimas under the hood and will probably add a third in the center console before it is all said and done. All the enclosers ie kick panels , box , centers console, rear boxes have all been or will be fiberglassed and the be "rhino" lined for better weather proofing, and also to match the rest of the interior. For an alarm I run the Avital 6500 remote start unit. It has EXTREME range, about a half mile, and has worked flawlessly for about a year now. I have reworked the door pins so that when the doors are off the dome light doesnt stay on, nut the alarms illumimated entry still works. When the doors are on the pinswitches are enabled by a simple flick of a switch and they work as normal. I will soon have pics up on my CK5 site DBLAZER.COLORADOK5.com to show the work.I wil say thjat what I have done would be rather costly if I didnt do it for a living. I f you have any questions feel free to ask any time. NASHU

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

4. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

Krebs what are the specs for your lift and tires? Anyhow i have a few solutions for you. Like Blazerguy mentioned BlazzinOR posted pics of his job. My brother n law did the same thing with his blazer. You take out the rear side panels and place them on 5/8" particle board or MDF (medium density fiberboard). My bro used an MDF that had a nice finished look to it and we believe actually enhanced the interiors look. He mounted 2 10" Boston Rallys in the back firing towards eachother. I dont think the mounting depth was deep enough so he place a mounting ring made of the same material on top to ensure proper depth. He then insulated the back behidn the panels with Air conditioning and regular house insulation. This gives the woofers the impression there is more space then there actually is. Room behind the panels is scarce. You also want to make sure you fill in the leaks around the panel anyway you can. The other way like BLazzinOR used is to have paticle board and carpet it. You made a good choice in buying 5.25 components because i have the idea for you. Go to crutchfield.com or order one of their magazines. Theyhave these Qform kick panels that fit 5.25 mids and tweets that mount up in front right and left corners of your blazer. (down on the floor to the left of the drivers left foot and right of the paseengers right foot). However these kick panels cost roughly $200 a pair. The other alternative is to mount them behind the passenger and drivers seats in the newly installed panels. They work great back there. Me and my bro installed a 6.5 back there and we used 4X6 plate speakers with seperate mids and tweets to go in the dash.
    Personally i think the best alarms are clifford.
    Hope this helped.
    Matt
    ALWAYS BUMPIN!