Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker popping / crackling... need help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudFrog, May 7, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Kenwood 4 way 6x9's, very good speakers for what I need. They are roughly around 4 years old, and I listen to them fairly loud but not loud enough to cause any harm.

The other week while four wheeling I turned my stereo off so I could concentrate on what I'm doing, I left it off for the whole trip and part of the trip back. When I turned it back on one of my speakers started popping / crackling when ever it tries to play bass. The pop gets louder the louder the volume is. I know I had some dirt get past the grills and it was laying on the surface of the speaker (I have my speakers in boxs facing up). So when I got home I took some compressed air and cleaned out all of the dirt. It still does the popping, so I swapped the speakers to see if maybe it was the amp that was causing it, when I swapped the speakers the same speaker (differen't channel?? was plugged into the other output of the amp) would pop. So I know it's something with the speaker.. I looked for any kind of rips or tears or anything that looked abnormal and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas of what it might be, or at least stuff I should look for or try.

2. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

My guess would be that dirt got into the coil and did some damage. Probably blowing it out with compressed wasn't good either. I'd say it's toast but to be sure I'd remove the speaker completely and with a little blower bulb blow some air everywhere you can near where the pole is.
    Also, if you gently press down (evenly) on the cone you shouldn't hear or feel any scraping. If you do and you've done everything possilbe to blow it out (if something is in there), start looking for another speaker.
    Good luck

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

More then likely the voice coil has come out of alignment. I suggest just replacing the speakers.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hook them up to the house sterio and see if they do the same thing. Yes, the ohms are dif, but it shouldn't hurt anything for a few minuts. Also check all your connections, something could be loose, you did say you were wheelinng befor it happened.

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Usually when they sound like that it’s because they are blown. I’ve blown a speaker before and it had the same problem. It’s probably time to replace them. The only thing that you can do is try them out hooked up to the home stereo like suggested if they are still making that noise then they are gone. Almost all speakers are only vented in the rear where the speaker is open. You should not have any place where dirt should be able to get into the speaker at all. Around the top of the speakers surface yes but not in it. If dirt was the reason that you were getting noise if you turn it on the side you should no hear it any more because it would all me caught on the foam lip and not bouncing around on the surface of the speaker.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Dirt got through the grill. The speaker itself was enclosed but the grill didn't work all that well. I have a feeling I'll just replace it but I'll give the home stereo thing a go.

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

take it to a shop, they can re-align the coil, no need to replace!

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MudFrog,

This suggestion might be too late, but if it was me I would trace the problem from the speaker back to the deck one component at a time.

Speaker - replace one of the "bad" speakers with a speaker that you KNOW is good. If the problem goes away, then the problem was with the speakers. If the problem is still there even with the "good" speaker, it means that the problem is somewhere further up the signal chain....move on to step 2.

Wire - Bypass the speaker wire from the amp to the speaker to see if that makes a difference. If a new piece of wire solves the problem, then the original wire was probably pinched or shorted somewhere.

Amp - If you have a multichannel amp, you might be able to swap the plugs around to try to drive those speakers with different output channels. The key is that if you find a combination that "fixes" the problem.....then the amp is your culprit.

RCA's - Test the connectors from the head unit to the amp...look for loose connectors. Bypass with a "good" RCA cable to be sure there aren't any broken wires. Again, if a replacement wire solves the problem, the culprit is the original wire.

Head Unit - most decks have a few pairs of RCA outputs. If you haven't found the problem with all the previous tests, you could use a different set of RCA outputs (also called Pre-Outs) to see if that makes a difference.

If you follow all those steps (and I know that's a LOT of steps! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) you WILL find the source of the problem.

Hope that helps, and that this idea came in time to be useful to you....

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I reread my post and realized I wasn't real clear on explaining what I tried.

When I noticed the driver side speaker popping I unplugged it from the amp and listened to the passenger side speaker. The passenger side speaker did not pop. So I moved the passenger side speaker to the driver side amp connection and it did not pop. I then moved the Driver side speaker (the popping one) to the passenger side amp connection and it did pop, so I'm sure it's something within the speaker itself.

So now I'm looking at just replacing everything in my truck (been wanting to do this for a while anyway /forums/images/icons/wink.gif). I want a good CD player that will play MP3's. Here is a quick run down of what I have and then one of what I'd like (or looking at).

Kenwood KRC-S505 - http://www.hythumbs.com/tac/tac_carspeak.htm
    Kenwood 10 Disc CD Changer- not sure of the model #
    Kenwood 6x9's - http://7925.adahost.com/computer/index.html?loadfile=catalog16_0.html
    Pioneer 10" sub - no clue of the model # (it only says "Pionner 300watt" on the front of the sub)
    Legacy 300 watt amp pushing the Sub (but I think it's about dead)
    California 300 watt amp pushing the 6x9's.
    Legacy equalizer and a california Crossover.

The tape deck and cd changer is going in my wifes car, all of the speakers will be replaced as well as the Legacy amp.

I will keep the Crossover and the California amp in the truck.. pretty much everything else will be replaced. But I don't plan on using high dollar components.

What I'm looking at:
    CD Player that supports MP3, Possibly Kenwood or Pioneer in the $200-300 price range (probably will come from ebay so the ebay $200-300 price range).
    Component Set front and back - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350828102
    A new amp and 2- 12's or 10's (probably will go with one of the packages at cmttrading.com. I'm not real picky when it comes to subs but I have owned Legacy subs and they did everything I needed them to. Overall I was pleased with them.)

If anyone has any suggestions or can think of a setup that might work a little better for a blazer, PLEASE let me know.
    Thanks!

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mudfrog,

That makes sense to me now.....it's definitely the speaker based on your troubleshooting technique.

I'll let someone else jump in with recommendations on the equipment. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had a Legacy 1600 watt 2 channel amp. I won't buy Legacy again. I highly recomened getting a good quality amp and speakers. I bought the el'cheapo's and with in a few months I hads to go buy the good becouse the cheap crap just doesn't last !!!!!!! I like to play it very, very, very loud !!!

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm using a 300 watt Legacy amp right now that just recently started acting up. I bought it back in 93 so I think it lasted a good for the quality. And thats using it just about every day since 93.