Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Cusm, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I need some more input for speaker recomendation. I am not going to run an amp and will just use my head unit for the front speakers. It is a Sony MD player that says it is 35Wx4. What should I look at for speakers as far as RMS ratings and brands? I have been looking at the Infinity Kappa 50.3cs and the Kappa 62.3i, would this unit not supply enough power to mess with these speakers, or would they be okay?

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

That 35wx4 rating means you have about 15 or so clean, usable watts for your speakers. I would look for a speaker with RMS rating of around 50watts or less.

If you're not going to use an amp, go with a high sensativity rated speaker like Polk. The higher the sensativity, the cleaner it will sound at high volume with low wattage.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

3. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

What is considered high sensitivity? Anything abouve 80, 90? Thanks.

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well im not so sure i would count on the sensativity of the speaker making my choice for me.. I had heard some speakers that have a really good sens. but sound really really bad... but yet another setup that runs a lower sens sounds alot better... Best thing to do is go into a store somewhere and tell them that you will be running the speakers off the radio and you want to hear the speakers without them running it threw an amp.. Most stereo shops can do this for you.. Listen to them and see what sounds good, Loudest, etc. off the given power supplied to them.. There are alot of factors involved in figureing out which speaker is best, you cant base it off of just one stat.. Just go and listen to a couple different ones.. and listen to the high dollar ones also and compair them all.. make sure they play music that you would normally listen to.. some speakers will sound better playing rock then playing country or rap...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That Sony deck is going to have plenty of power to run those speakers. As long as you don't go for anything bigger than a 6x9, 99% of new decks will be fine.
    An amp would definitely help make the speakers sound better, but its not required.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Something above 90% would be good.

I did not suggest that sensativity is the only factor to consider in picking speakers, I only suggested that you go with a set that has a high sens rating because you will be running off the deck.
    The sensativity rating is basically an effeciency (sp?) rating. The lower the sensativity, the more dampening you get. Lower sens speakers are great with amps, because you don't get all those harsh highs. But with no amp, the speaker will be more effecient and play louder with a higher rating.

Buy the speakers from a place that will allow returns. I purchased a set of Polks from Best Buy once and I didn't like the way they sounded with my amp (highs were way too harsh), so I took them back with no problems and ended up getting some Diamond Components (Awesome speakers!).
    You could go get a set, install them yourself, and see what you think. If you don't like them, return them.

Another factor is $$. How much cash do you have to spend? I assumed you were limited due to the fact you don't want an amplifier, and this was another reason I recommended Polks.
    If you add an amp, your system will sound 100% better no matter what speaker you choose.

I agree the best way to determine what speaker to get is to listen, listen, and listen some more. Bring your own music to the store, and have them play it for you through a setup that is similar to the one you have. But remember, it will not sound exactly the same once you install it due to many factors the truck interior will introduce.

Everyone has their own opinions about what equipment is good/best, but the only way for you to find out for yourself is to go listen.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Money is a big factor. I have not paid retail for electronic equipment since I was 18, I worked at est Buy and had friends at local shops so I got great discounts. Now having to pay retail, knowing cost is half of it, is REALLY hard. Also my head unit, Sony MDX-C150(which I got for $100 from Sony) only has one set of RCA outs so I would have to get a x-over, which means even more money. All this while I am fixing the rest of my truck, so $500 for speakers or fix the seals, body, etc. for the same amount. Some of those tough decisions. I may just hold off and go the amp orute just have to wait longer, but I am really sick of these 20 year old stock speakers. I will post when I finally do something.

BTW If anyone has any equipment they want to let go for cheap, let me know.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

In response to:

"BTW If anyone has any equipment they want to let go for cheap, let me know."

Are you looking to buy just an amp, or is there anything else you want? My garage is overflowing with stuff...just no amps at the moment.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

What kinda stuff are you overflowing with? My system is pretty much toast and could use a nice upgrading. Where in Kansas are you? I'll be in Wichita on the 23rd.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

First thing is a 1 farad Stinger cap. Its new in the box and has the digital voltage readout on the top. Also have some Lightning Audio buss bars to connect 2 capacitors, new in the box. Another brand new one is a set of 16 foot Rockford White Wolf RCA cables. I also have a Lanzar Pro Series 12...its an older one, maybe 4 or 5 years old but its never been hooked up, still in the box and everything. Alpine 7930 deck. 2 Rockford 15's in a computer designed box. New Pioneer 4x10's. New Delco 6x9's. And probably some other stuff I don't remember. I'm in Wichita, so let me know if you're interested in anything.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

First off, you're going to have to explain some of it to me.
    I am interested in the 4x10s.
    Whats this......
    First thing is a 1 farad Stinger cap. Its new in the box and has the digital voltage readout on the top.
    this......
    Also have some Lightning Audio buss bars to connect 2 capacitors, new in the box.
    this.....
    I also have a Lanzar Pro Series 12...its an older one, maybe 4 or 5 years old but its never been hooked up, still in the box and everything.
    What kind of deck is this? What all does it have?
    Alpine 7930 deck

sorry for not knowing more about this, after getting married and having 5 kids, I've been out of this for a while....

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs

12. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I am looking for some 6-1/2 2 ways, 5-1/4 Components, a 8", or 10" sub, and then some amp options.
    What do you all think about the 5 channel amps? This might be a way for me to cut down some on price, but I do not want to waste time looking at them if they are not worth it.

13. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

a 5 channel amp would be fine to use if you are wanting to build a basic/budget system.. If you are looking for just an upgrade over what you have then that would be a way to go.. This way you can get power to each speaker and run a single sub also...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

14. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

A capacitor is wired inline with the power cable of your amplifier in between the battery and amp. I don't have time to give a full explanation, but it basically helps supply more power for the amp...helps ease the strain on your battery. Do a search for cap or capacitor and you should find out a lot more.
    The buss bars are just gold bars that connect 2 caps.
    The Lanzar is just a 12 inch subwoofer.
    The Alpine 7930 is a very high end CD player. It doesn't have any built in power, so you have to use amps to power all of your speakers from it. 4 volt preout, CD changer controls, very clean sound.
    If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

15. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for takin the time to explain all that.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs