Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker repair

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 18, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Both of my Infinity 6x9s were damaged in the little, "accident" that I had with my truck.

The cones have some small tears in them. Any chance I can repair them? I spent a lot of money on them for them to go to waste.

They don't distort at all or anything, but I intend to put them in a box, so I'm thinking they will when I do that. So, what works? Does anything?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There's quite a few companies that do speaker repair, but it's usually cheaper to buy new ones. You can also do it yourself, but it usually results in poor sound and/or distortion. I'd look on EBay and try and acquire a new set - I picked up my Blaupunkts for 30, and they're the best sounding 6X9's I've ever owned.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Well if they are small little rips... i.r. under half inch in length or something like that... i have seen people use stuff like rubber cement, superglue, atv sealant, etc... to hold it back together... But if you are going to be putting them into a closed enclosure then the best thing to do is get them repaired correctly or get new ones...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The other guys are right. If the tears are on the surrounds you can replace those pretty easily...if its the actual cone that got damaged, then that makes it worse. Patch it up if its small damage or just get new ones if the rips are big.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

smalll tears can be temp fixed by using something like clear nail polish...dont use alot..again though, this is only a temp fix as once they are town they will give eventually. Start saving for a new pair.