Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker Security

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Craig Artzner, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anybody know of any good ways to secure speakers in our beloved open-topped Blazers? I want to mount 6x9s in the side panels just behind the driver's seat of my '73 but I want them to be not-easy-to-steal. I know that if a dedicated thief wants it, he'll get it. But I'd like to make it difficult so that the casual thief will decide it's not worth his while.

All ideas and pictures welcome...

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Problem #1, how do you secure an item that needs to be out in the open air to operate? Its not like you can hide the speakers in lock boxes. ;) I guess my best advice in that regard would simply be use speaker grills, and when mounting them use specialty screws. Several companies make screws with weird screw heads, so if you dont havew that special screwdriver, you can't get it loose.

Problem #2, usually when a theif realizes he cant steal it, he breaks it. Many people have built conplicated subwoofer enclosures in hopes of keeping the sub from being stolen, only to find the potential theif kicked his foot through the speaker when he realized he would have to leave without it.

The best preventative measure is to hide the speakers visually, and not advertise that they are there (not playing it loud just before parking and leaving the vehicle). Also, for a convertible, you wont be getting world-class sound, just buy some 6x9's that if they do happen to get stolen, wont break your heart.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhh yep all of the above, I used square drive screws on mine...

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Buy inexpensive speakres, and use square drive screws. If you really want to get fancy, tuffy sells speaker boxes.....but who knows how they sound.